B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Need Help...Please respond 99 audi a4 b5

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2008, 05:09 PM
1st Gear
Default Need Help...Please respond 99 audi a4 b5

So I was driving from miami up to michigan when about 3 hours into my drive my car began losing power and shut off almost automatically once i oulled over to the side of the road. I had to get my car towed to a walmart and had to leave it there and now i am shitting bricks because i have no idea what it could be.

A week ago I had to change the MAF sensor so did that, gave it a tune up changed the spark plugs, got a tire alignment, changed the oil etc... about three days ago the light came back on and I took it to auto zone and they told me my egr vacum solenoid sensor was the cause of the light but not to worry if its bad it would just waste a little more gas.(Would this not let me turn on the car??) I tried giving the car a jump but that didnt work, and every time i turn the key it just makes a noise when the key is turned. The tow guy said it could be the starter but if it was the starter why would it just lose power and turn off completely as I was driving, if it was the alternator it would have drained the battery completely before shutting off. Can any one help me time is of the essence for me as it is in a parking lot 40 miles away.

Thanks JT.

Old 08-24-2008, 05:24 PM
2nd Gear

any check engine light? A first guess would be a coil pack but i'm not 100% sure. Do you have power to your accessories when you put the key in the on position?

Old 08-24-2008, 05:27 PM
4th Gear

You will have to read the codes again.

Old 08-24-2008, 05:47 PM
5th Gear

your description sounds like you tried to be thorough but it's kinda broad. you said your light came back but never told us what code. and what do you mean when you turn the key it just sounds like turning the key. do you hear lots of clicking when you turn the key? have you checked for spark or fuel?

Old 08-24-2008, 06:30 PM
1st Gear

I mean all the lights turn on, the check engine light is on and has been since autozone gave me the code dealing with the egr vacumn solenoid, but even that code is very vague and didnt give a real explanation other than maybe the egr vacumn solenoid might need to be replaced./the other light that turns on when i turn the key is the battery light (the battery meter is halfway so thats k) The noise it makes isnt your click click click usual noise its a straight low noise which is why the tow guy said the starter but like i said before if it was the starter why would the car just die on me as I was driving. to back track while i was driving i felt the car losing power when i was accelerating it and thats when i knew i needed to pull over and as i pulled over and completely stopped the car just shut off. if there is any other explanations u might need just let me know and ill try to further explain.

in addition someone said a coil pack, when i changed the spark plugs i noticed that the bottom rubber part of what connects to the spark plug was cracked but would that neccesarily mean its broken?

i will be awaiting more replies.

Old 08-24-2008, 06:39 PM
1st Gear

My other worry is that maybe the car isnt getting fuel, i had stopped and put some premium citgo gas (i hate chavez shouldnt have done that) and then about half an hour after that is when it happened so could that be the culprit?

Old 08-24-2008, 06:48 PM
6th Gear

well I'm not much help but I can rule out the EGR as the culprit, all it does is recirculate some of the exhaust gas instead of putting it all to the exhaust, Mine is clogged and I don't care, it has no negatiev iimpact on the car, just a little worse MPG.