B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Need Stereo Code

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2008, 11:29 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Capo Cam
On my ,99 it is 1505
A nice gesture, but its gonna be different for everyone. Granted, there are only 10,000 different combinations of 4 digits from 0 to 9, but the odds of them being the same are not so good.

Also, I believe if you enter the wrong code, that causes more problems than trying it would be worth. (correct me if i'm wrong)

OP, I suggest you either throw yourself on the mercy of another Audi dealer or get an aftermarket head unit. The latter will most likely end up being the cheaper option

Old 11-16-2008, 07:29 PM

Im the second owner of my audi and from the records i got from the previous owner the head unit was replaced 3 times! The code in my owners manual didnt work of coarse. There should be a sticker in your spare tire compartment with the radio code if the one in your owners manual doesnt work. For some reason the one i found in the spare tire compartment worked. As far as entering the wrong code i dont think there is any problem with that. I entered in the wrong one probably 20 times trying to figure it out and after awhile it just requires you to wait 30 min or so before you can try it again. Defanitly try to stay away from the dealer, i was quoted 150! good luck

Old 11-17-2008, 05:42 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by dubiousmusic
Im the second owner of my audi and from the records i got from the previous owner the head unit was replaced 3 times! The code in my owners manual didnt work of coarse. There should be a sticker in your spare tire compartment with the radio code if the one in your owners manual doesnt work. For some reason the one i found in the spare tire compartment worked. As far as entering the wrong code i dont think there is any problem with that. I entered in the wrong one probably 20 times trying to figure it out and after awhile it just requires you to wait 30 min or so before you can try it again. Defanitly try to stay away from the dealer, i was quoted 150! good luck
I've never seen a radio code on the options sticker in the trunk of an Audi unless someone hand wrote it there. A radio card comes with the vehicle's paperwork. Radios can be swapped from car to car, which often happens when dealing with used to diagnose a bad radio or simply to get the customer back on the road. A sticker on the car wont do any good if the radio ever has to be replaced.

Entering the wrong code 3 times will lock the radio in SAFE. Leave the key on, engine off for an hour (there is an internal countdown. Common amongst Becker/Bose/Harmon-Kardon radios). After an hour, you'll have another chance to type in the right code.

And don't stay away from the dealer. Stay away from poorly rated dealers or dealers that gouge. I worked at 2 different dealers, both of which were top-notch and very fairly priced.

Old 11-19-2008, 07:57 PM

Its a sticker that says theft protection operation with all the instructions for entering it then on the bottom of the sticker there is a box that says security code with your code in it. Or at least thats how it is in my car. Yea your right tweaked i forgot about leaving the key on for an hour that was a bitch i had to do it so many times. its been a few years so i forgot about that.

Old 11-20-2008, 11:59 AM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by dubiousmusic
Its a sticker that says theft protection operation with all the instructions for entering it then on the bottom of the sticker there is a box that says security code with your code in it.
That sticker is supposed to be removed during prep IIRC.

Old 11-21-2008, 08:27 PM

well i guess i got lucky than. Or possibly mine was placed in there after having the radio replaced?

Old 12-14-2008, 06:29 AM

I can get your code for $40 need only VIN & serial N of the stereo

Old 12-15-2008, 01:12 AM
3rd Gear

Sketchy. Why $40?