B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Over Heating 1.8t

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2012, 01:11 PM
1st Gear
Default Over Heating 1.8t

I was wondering if I could get some advice on where to start from here...

Car has never had heating problems before, actually used to run "cold" the tach wouldn't make it to the middle of the gauge on a nice day. Anyway, I was really getting on the throttle last night out of frustration and being late. I noticed this morning on my way to work, it was getting real hot according to the gauge. It is like 95* today but it has been all week. Thermostat? Water pump? What kind of tests should I do?

Old 07-06-2012, 02:05 PM

what is "real hot" according to the gauge? past center point?

Old 07-06-2012, 03:57 PM
1st Gear

No "real hot" is almost maxing out the gauge. The electric fan comes on with the a/c occasionally. But I have a hunch its shutting off even when the car is hot

Old 07-06-2012, 06:39 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by audivalley
No "real hot" is almost maxing out the gauge. The electric fan comes on with the a/c occasionally. But I have a hunch its shutting off even when the car is hot
This is defiantly not normal,my temp gauge was going past the middle,near the 2nd slash,past the middle,because of the heat wave of 90's all this week,its normal for this to happen.

When the temp went down,it stayed in the middle,like it suppose too.

The maxing out of your temp gauge,means the thermostat is shot and needs to be replaced.

Old 07-06-2012, 07:36 PM
1st Gear

maxing out your temp gauge could also be caused by a bad temp sensor. This is a very common problem on our cars. Have you verified that the engine is really that hot or are you relying solely on the gauge?

Old 07-06-2012, 07:47 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by morpheous
The maxing out of your temp gauge,means the thermostat is shot and needs to be replaced.
This is one possibility, and was my first thought also. OP, how old is the t-stat? When the car is at operating temp, pop the hood and grab the upper radiator hose. It should be uncomfortably hot to the touch. If it's cool or luke warm, your t-stat is probably the culprit.

Originally Posted by bkraska
maxing out your temp gauge could also be caused by a bad temp sensor. This is a very common problem on our cars. Have you verified that the engine is really that hot or are you relying solely on the gauge?
Also a possibility, but usually a bad sensor would cause the gauge to go up and down erratically or not work at all.

OP, I know it's hot as **** and this is the last thing on your mind, but see if your heat works. If your heat doesn't blow uncomfortably hot air, your heater core could be plugged. As hot as it is outside, this test may not be 100% valid at this point. Also check the level of coolant in your expansion tank, it should be a tad more than half full. What color is the coolant? Should be bright pink.

Last edited by CCA4; 07-06-2012 at 07:50 PM.
Old 07-08-2012, 04:20 PM
1st Gear

ok so first of all, the gauge is right because the coolant lines are hot as f*** when its maxing out, but the temp goes up and down as i drive. I kcik on the a/c to get the electric fan going an its helps randomly. At this point i think i have air in my lines and im going to drain it today. I have a new t stat too. What are the chances the housing break when i try to pull it off?

Old 07-08-2012, 05:07 PM
1st Gear

my dad who is somewhat mechanically inclines seems to think the head gasket is going

Old 07-08-2012, 05:31 PM

check your oil, are you losing coolant? if your losing coolant and the oil is milky i would investigate the hg. usually its not a suspect of overheating.

Old 07-08-2012, 05:43 PM
1st Gear

Had mine cause me issues with fluctuating temperatures. My housing came right off no issues only 2 bolts. Replace gasket too so it doesnt leak.

Quick Reply: Over Heating 1.8t