B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Power Windows

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2013, 06:17 PM
2nd Gear

If the main switch on the driver's door is bad, none of the windows will come down and the switches won't work from any window since they are all run through driver's door-but the key will still lock the doors, the illumination won't work either since it runs through the switch as well I believe. Make sure the window lock button isn't engaged or defective as well (it's part of the switch in the door).

Old 12-31-2013, 01:11 AM
1st Gear

When you say window(S) you mean the sunroof also right?

Old 12-31-2013, 11:33 AM
2nd Gear

And yes, windows and Sunroof are related in the Audi's.

It sounds like a relay, do your wipers, turn signals, interior lights, horn work? Is there ANYTHING else that isn't working properly on the electrical side?

There is a load relay under driver's side steering wheel/footwell, but if that is bad, generally including what YOU don't have working, the horn, turn signals, wipers etc...don't work either, but anything is possible...

Also on the central locking pump, there is an electronic module attached to the pump, so the key would still work (vacuum pump) but the electronic part may be bad....

I don't think there are any fuses for the windows sunroof, so it's probably going to be a relay or the central locking pump electronic module that's attached to the pump...the only way really to know if it's bad is to replace it...or it may be a small wiring issue somewhere....

Wiring pinched on the passenger side up to the visor, don't know if you've checked that..had a windshield replaced, or other work done that required that moulding up to the vanity mirror removed or the plugs under the seats as well that relate to your issue...just throwing ideas out there....

Old 12-31-2013, 07:17 PM
1st Gear

I don't wanna seem like i'm jacking the thread but ME personally EVERYTHING work other than the sunroof and windows. The sunroof does have a fuse and it isn't blown. I'm gonna check the relay for the windows under the dash this sunday is there any way to diagnose the central locking pump electric? I also had a friend install a turbo timer for me so i'm guessing maybe when he installed that he blew a relay along with 1 or 2 of the fuses in the box.

Old 01-02-2014, 08:20 PM
1st Gear

Ok I'm back with more information. I ordered a new used Central Locking unit from a junk yard and guess what the pump is bad, opened the cover and full of black graphite. Anyway will take that up with vendor. The interesting thing that I did notice is that both units react the same on the electronics side of things and only roll the windows up\down by the key when holding it. I put the original unit back in and noticed that the switches inside the car light up when the key is held to open windows. I was able to reach in the drivers door and operate all windows and the sunroof while the key is held open. Something else in the circuits are not alowing power to stay at the switches when the key is activated in the steering column

Old 01-02-2014, 08:57 PM
2nd Gear

Does your interior lighting go on when door is open and off when door is shut? I guess it must if your alarm is working..just had a random thought it may be as simple as a door switch...

Last edited by markymarc; 01-02-2014 at 08:59 PM.
Old 01-02-2014, 09:01 PM
1st Gear

Yes the door lights and the trunk light as well will operate as expected. Just no lights on the windows switches when the key is on in the ignition

Old 01-02-2014, 10:10 PM
1st Gear

Did you ever check the relay?

Old 01-02-2014, 10:46 PM
2nd Gear

here's a link. Guy has sort of your same problem, alarm and other stuff works... read the thread through, talks about wires being pinched, and also pins from the CCM being disconnected or loose...I read something somewhere else where a guy took his CCM apart and when he reconnected all the plugs to the pins, one by one, it all started working again...

Help! Windows and sunroof don't work - AudiWorld Forums