B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

question regarding cam

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2012, 05:31 PM
1st Gear
Default question regarding cam

In the process of replacing cam seals on a 98 a4 Q v6, got to tdc and marked cam sprockets and crank, removed the timing belt, cam plate on passenger side was a bit off not allowing the cam lock tool pins to line up so useing the tool I moved the sprocket enough to get the tool on, however while lining the tool with the drivers side cam plate the passenger side popped out and the sprocket sprung counter clockwise.
I've returned it to where it was in order to get the cam locking tool on. The arrow on the cam cap is lined up with the window on the cam and I'm 16 links between gears on the chain so am I good to go or did I screw something up?
Also when I installed the crank locking pin it didn't go in very far not sure I really needed to use it since I'm not replacing the crank seal. Thanks in advance I can't tell you all how much your advice will be appreciated this forum rocks!

Old 12-01-2012, 06:14 PM
Administrator

Don't worry about the crank. As for the cam, if it rotated and you counter-rotated it back to where it was marked, then you should be fine.

Old 12-01-2012, 09:37 PM
2nd Gear

If the cam was in the loaded position and sprung (rotated) to the unloaded state, I hope that the valves are all good. I've heard of people bending valves like that on interference engines. I would do a compression test on that side once you get it all back together.

Old 12-03-2012, 11:43 AM
1st Gear

thanks guys, I'll test the compression for sure and hope all is ok. I do have another question. While releasing the tension on the cam tensioner chain. I was turning the tool (3366) nothing was happening it was going down but no slack. For fear of breaking the tool I backed it off and thats when I got slack on the chain doesnt seem normal to me any Ideas I'm sure I'm @ tdc all marks are where they should be. Thanks again.