B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Quick Question - How dangerous is it to run with a broken oil pressure switch??

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2010, 10:14 PM
1st Gear
Default Quick Question - How dangerous is it to run with a broken oil pressure switch??

Title tells it all.

The cable going into the oil pressure switch has broken due to some rather heavy handling by myself while doing another job.

I'm afraid to even turn on the car now in case it does something bad and over pressurise it or something.

Any ideas, or is it safe to run until i get a new connector for it??

PS-I've never had any problems with the sensor before or high/low pressure warnings before.

Old 11-12-2010, 10:53 AM
1st Gear
Default no worries

i drove for about 30k miles with both wires severed. I eventually tried to rig them back together on the original unit, but had to replace the entire unit due to the damn thing tripping a fuse after it kicked on every 30-45 seconds after the car was started.

i would say, if it causes you stress... just replace the damn thing. if not, you prolly dont have much to worry bout anyway, at least for a while. i'd replace it before you go too high mileage though.

Old 11-15-2010, 03:05 PM
1st Gear

Thanks Mikey,

I've driven it a few times now without any incident but the warnings still worry me even though i know why they're popping up.

I've ordered the new connectors there this morning so should have them in a couple of days.

Thing is though that the oil pressure switch in my car only has one white wire going into it (located immediately above the oil filter) so you might be on about a different sensor/switch.

Old 11-15-2010, 03:19 PM
WRR
1st Gear

my opinion is that while it is never a good idea cause driving w/o oil pressure will be a quik way to ruin the motor... the reality is that most cars drive hundreds of thousands of miles with no oil pressure issues and yours will likely be no different - personally I would relax and fix it when you get a chance

Old 11-27-2010, 12:04 AM
1st Gear

I kinda agree with you WRR on that one, as such i've been driving the car for the last week before I eventually got the replacement connector (which took about 2 weeks by the way) but finally got it and it came as a single wire with two connectors on either end already crimped.

So i cut it in the middle and put a standard elec connector on the other end. I then put the opposite connector on the wire that was left on the loom (after stripping it down a bit). Then put a crap load of insulation tape over that connection and plugged everything back in. Everything seems to be working fine now thankfully as i didn't like driving around with that RED OIL WARNING LIGHT on my dash.

Cheers guys for your input about this. If your looking for a elec connector i hope you give yourselves a lot of time as it took ages to get it from my local dealer. Oter parts i recently ordered only took 3 days this took 2 weeks for some reason.

Later Guys,
Shano.