B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

resetting lights(abs,brake,check engine etc..) with +- cables

Old 05-16-2011, 09:49 AM
1st Gear
Default resetting lights(abs,brake,check engine etc..) with +- cables

Figured I'd start a new thread for the specific question.

I was told by a few members on a previous post if you hold the posetive and negative cables together if would reset the abs/brake lights and any other check engine lights etc.....

I dont have access to VAGCOM and need to reset my abs/brake light. I had multiple people including the person who rebuilt the abs module tell me that sometimes the lights stay on and need to be reset using vagcom. AT that point several members mentioned touchign the posetive and negative cables together which acts as a hard reset.

Unhooking the battery for 30 minutes did nothing.

I'm mainly looking for those who have tried this method as a couple members mentioned it would work but they are hesitant to try it because it would throw off other setting and then the use of VAGCOM would be required to set things back to normal.

Anyone tried touching the posetive and negative cables for several minutes to reset the lights? If so, did it work for you and how long did you wait to touch them together after removing them from the battery?

Thanks,

Old 05-16-2011, 10:32 AM
Administrator

Do it using vagcom to avoid the potential headaches. If the problems are solved, vagcom will turn off the lights for good.

Old 05-16-2011, 11:16 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by ImTheDevil
Do it using vagcom to avoid the potential headaches. If the problems are solved, vagcom will turn off the lights for good.
You were the one who said there could be headaches in my other post ....

Only reason why I wanted to go this route is because if I take it to the stealership to get them to hook up VAGCOM and they charge me an arm and leg then just to tell me it's a sensor or still the module I'm out of that $ along with sending it back to get reinspected etc......

I'm still looking for a local member that might be of some help.

Just wanted to explorer the option.

Thanks

Old 05-16-2011, 12:13 PM
1st Gear

Correct me if I'm wrong, but a VAGCOM cable is $25 on eBay and Roberts offers VCDS Lite for free.

Edit: For reading codes for Airbag, engine, ect, is there a significant difference between VCDS Lite and the real thing? Will the $25 eBay cables work?

Last edited by justanotherjpr; 05-16-2011 at 12:23 PM.
Old 05-16-2011, 12:38 PM
Administrator

I am using an eBay cable. Occasionally it'll fail to communicate but is typically reliable. I now have the unlocked full vagcom and for those error resets the shareware lite version is just fine.

OP, where do you live? It'd be worth getting vagcom, even shareware, so you can do this stuff without paying a dealer.

Old 05-16-2011, 02:34 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by ImTheDevil
I am using an eBay cable. Occasionally it'll fail to communicate but is typically reliable. I now have the unlocked full vagcom and for those error resets the shareware lite version is just fine.

OP, where do you live? It'd be worth getting vagcom, even shareware, so you can do this stuff without paying a dealer.

I guess I wasn't aware the cable is so cheap and the software if free.
I'll look into then.

Thanks,

anyone care to share a link for the free version?
Also, I have a OBDII scanner, could i use that cable since it hooks up to a labtop/computer for updates? ....then just load the software?

Thanks

Old 05-16-2011, 02:55 PM
1st Gear

just put vcds lite into google

Old 05-16-2011, 02:59 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by JASEA4
just put vcds lite into google
Yip...I did that afte posting.
I'm going to assume the OBDII scanner cable I have will work as long as it can connect to a pc/laptop correct.

I looked at the ebay cables and didn't see anything special about them. USB on one side and the other is OBDII conector.