B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Sunroof issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2013, 05:02 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by redmond1501
Here's a writeup on cleaning the sunroof drains. Note that you have to be really careful because the hoses that drain to the bottom of the chassis will pop out of their connectors and then you need to drop the headliner.

Audi A4 1.8T Volkswagen Sunroof Drain Cleaning | Golf, Jetta, Passat & Beetle | Pelican Parts DIY Maintenance Article

Thank you, friend. How about the grease for the moon roof ,mechanism?

Old 09-20-2013, 05:06 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by mtroxel
Open mine all the way several times a day. Then I can keep my windows up and still talk on my wireless bluetooth.

Only time I had real trouble is when I wasn't thinking and tried to tilt it open in the winter....right after an ice storm sealed the thing shut. That one was never right again. That was on a 1996 90.

Yeah brotha, i think that is why most people have so many issues, because they work the sun/moon roof, like its suppose to be worked! LMFAOO!

Its kinda funny saying that, being this is what the damn thing was meant for but it turns out, that opening and closing the sun/moon roof all the way, is BAD thing for the longevity of the mechanism.

Old 09-20-2013, 05:18 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by morpheous
Thank you, friend. How about the grease for the moon roof ,mechanism?
I use some garage door opener grease on mine. There are no fast moving parts to grease, and I figure the temperature range is pretty wide...like a garage door opener.

Old 09-20-2013, 05:22 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by mtroxel
I use some garage door opener grease on mine. There are no fast moving parts to grease, and I figure the temperature range is pretty wide...like a garage door opener.

Gotcha, I'll track it down at a advanced auto parts or auto zone store.

Old 09-21-2013, 12:06 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by morpheous
Its kinda funny saying that, being this is what the damn thing was meant for but it turns out, that opening and closing the sun/moon roof all the way, is BAD thing for the longevity of the mechanism.
I took my whole sunroof frame out, to clean out the mashed leaves and twigs that was causing it to stall and reverse. It was really impressive how much junk accumulates on top of the headliner after 16 years! Flushed it with full-strength isopropyl alcohol, then WD-40, and finally waxed the frame just because it looked cool. I didn't use any grease, thinking that may attract dust more than a fairly dry mechanism that can be vacuumed. It works perfectly fine now- sun shade too (which I recovered with headliner cloth).

Old 10-17-2013, 08:07 PM
1st Gear
Default My cover/shade is off track...

Another thing wrong with the 99 A4 Quattro that I just recently purchased is that the shade for the sunroof is off track and will not allow the sunroof to go back further than about an inch or two. It tilts up just fine. The shade itself seems to be screwed up. Im seeing plastic pieces in front of it along the track that I assume should be hidden or behind it. How do I go about looking at this further? Does the whole roof assembly/liner have to be removed? I cant seem to get to it like it is now. I could live with it the way it is, but Id be happier having everything function properly.

Old 10-17-2013, 08:20 PM
2nd Gear

I'd start by just removing the glass. You can see an awful lot on the front edge of the shade with the glass gone. Just tilt it up, pull that plastic trim piece off that covers three screws on each side. I believe they're allen heads, maybe about 6mm.

Old 10-18-2013, 04:09 PM
Site Moderator/B5 Tech Guru

Originally Posted by Clayson
Wait... We're supposed to have a sunroof shade?!
Yep. Take a look or jam your fingers inside. Mine lost the clips that stop it from going back too far so if I want to pull the shade closed I have to wiggle my fingers back there, hook the cover, and pull it forward. Doesn't affect my moonroof operation, which I open anytime I'm in the car.

On the other hand, my dad's A4's moonroof had something break inside. Sure sounded like some plastic breaking. It would cause the glass to close a couple inches before the motor would reverse due to resistance. I ended up starting the motor and pulling it along until I got it closed. Hasn't been opened since. Another fix on my to do list...

I'd love to see a DIY for removing the headliner.