B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Two different diagnosis for same issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2009, 12:46 PM
1st Gear
Default Two different diagnosis for same issue

A while back I took my car (01 a4 2.8l...I have made no mods to it, but the previous owner may have...I have noticed some appearance related mods that were done when I purchased it) to a local mechanic shop (who specializes in vw/audi, and advertises themselves as "the dealer alternative") because the dreaded check engine light had come on. They fixed various things and then told me that the major issue that was causing the check engine light was that my catalytic converters were failing...a $2500 repair. I, of course, dont have that sort of money to just drop so I told them I would have to wait to have that fixed.

Now, a few days ago, I had it at another mechanics getting my brakes done, and they mentioned to me about the check engine light. I told them I already knew what was causing it, and explained the situation...they asked if they could check it anyway, so I told them to go ahead, and so they investigated themselves. This mechanic now is telling me that the ONLY code coming up with the check engine is the cam shaft positioning sensor? And they're quoting me for that fix at $300...

Obviously a huge difference in repair costs...so now I'm at a loss as to what to do. Take it to a 3rd mechanic and see what they say? Googling the code that the most recent mechanic said they were getting makes it sound like the cost of that repair is way more than the $300 they quoted me at...but if they can get the check engine off for $300, then I can save that $2500 for other maintenance/repairs that I want to have done and potentially keep my cats from being needlessly replaced.

Any advice on what to do here?

Old 10-26-2009, 01:22 PM
2nd Gear

you should honestly go back to the 1st place and tell them they are thieves and want to know how the hell they warrant trying to charge you $2500 for something that DID NOT come up on the CEL logs and that they lied to you and didnt tell you it was really the cam shaft position sensor... i hate stories like this cause it scares me trying to take my car ANYWHERE now... seems like everyone is out to make the extra buck and not give a rats *** about how they treat customers... i wish things were like they were in the olden days (or so they say) and things were more small townish in these situations...

but what can ya do... hopefully you figure out what is REALLY wrong with your car... who knows maybe that 2nd mechanic just told you that to try to get $300 out of you and clear your codes or something after...

good luck sorry to rant

maybe you should just bring it to the dealer to see what is really wrong with your car, then telling us on here and you can try to DIY if its an easy fix, or even ask someone near 'P-Town' (portland?) if they can help you out with the repairs... check the Regional forum on here to see if anyones willing to help you if you need it. things can usually always get done for much cheaper than most places will charge you!

Last edited by flynnr; 10-26-2009 at 01:27 PM.
Old 10-26-2009, 06:37 PM
Administrator

Did either place tell you the actual code? If so post it here (it's in the form of P0xxx). A number of us can define it for you.

Did you notice any difference in its driveability when the light came on? I had a cam sensor fail and it was transparent in driving. Post the code - if it is a cam sensor, I have a couple on the shelf that are spares - I can hook you up cheap and show you how to change it yourself. It's not terrible on the driver side and it's a piece of cake on the passenger side.

If you don't have the code, go to Autozone - they'll scan it free and give you the code(s). Then post up.

Old 10-26-2009, 09:08 PM
4th Gear

^^ Agreed.. we need the codes they gave, and then go to AutoZone or Advanced Auto and have them read the codes too.. Their 'all-in-ones' should be able to read it... If its Catalytic related, ask them to clear the codes and see if it comes back. The work the previous mechanic did could have set any number of emissions related codes. They should always be cleared after doing work.

Old 10-27-2009, 02:07 AM
1st Gear

Unfortunately the first mechanic never gave me any of the code numbers that he claimed were causing the check engine.

The most recent mechanic says the only code that is coming up is P0011. I will have to go to autozone tomorrow to get them to read the codes as well.

I have noticed no difference in driveability since the light came on months ago...slight drop in gas mileage, but nothing major. It seems to me to be "running" well...no weird noises or smells, has amazing get up and go, no response time lag...nothing basically. The only thing that would suggest that something is wrong is the gd check engine light.

Old 10-27-2009, 01:11 PM
4th Gear

Everything I see points to a chain tensioner... It could be that it was set when the original work was done. Have it cleared and see if it returns. This also means I would trust the second mechanic more....