B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Vacuum hose replacement

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2009, 04:48 AM
1st Gear
Default Vacuum hose replacement

Hey guys, quick little question for you. I did my first oil / filter replacement yesterday. All went well apart from the difficulty in getting to the oil filter. I removed my Coolant resevoir to help with access from the front.

Anyway while it was out of the way i noticed two little threaded vacuum hoses, at least that is what i think they are. About 6 - 8 inches long, 5 - 10mm diameter. They are located under the coolant tank and one of them is very worn, one layer of skin has a big hole in it.

I plan on replacing it but just want to make sure i can pull it straight off without any prep work?

Old 09-14-2009, 10:59 AM
1st Gear

How do you go about removing a vacuum hose? Doesnt look like there are any clamps around a damaged one on my car so i am just going to pull it straight off. Seems to be on very tight though. Any suggestions?

I am replacing with 3.5mm ID hose. Sound good to everybody?

Old 09-14-2009, 12:39 PM
Default Easy and not easy

3.5 mm silicone hoses are in my Audi. Easy? depends, if you have anough patience, long needle nose pliers or long and tiny fingers, you will do it with no problems.

1. See where the hose is connected - you will have to remove clamps. Also
remember the routing, you probably want to run new hose the same route

2. Due to the lack of room (access), I put these
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Tw...ps_-_small.jpg
and with 3.5 mm silicone hose they are holding fine. Just make sure the clamps are smallest possible that you can still put on without damaging the hose
I think my where 1/4", can't remember

3. With a screwdriver, carefully (don't brake the nipple the existing hose it attached to, some of them are plastic) pry/open up the old clamp and pull the hose

4. Cut the new hose to the same length (or 1-2" longer), put the clamp on, using pliers, 1 inch from the tip of the hose and then, good luck sliding the hose on the nipple. I found that 3.5 mm silicone hose is soft enough to expand when pushing it on the nipple, if you put a little bit of dieletcric grease on the nipples.

Intake manifold to fuel pressure regulator is the easiest (and shortest) possible. Other take time, the one that is connected to DV (one side) was hardest - the other side is by the dipstick tube. If you remove the dipstick tube (I didn't, because I didn't have a spare tube in case the old one brakes, and they do) life will be easier, otherwise - just don't give up. When the hose in fully on the nipple, take pliers and squeeze and slide the clamp over the nipple.

I replaced 4 of those 3.5 mm hoses this way.

Old 09-15-2009, 10:31 AM
1st Gear

Cheers for this info, its much appreciated. Going to take a closer look at the problem tonight and hopefully have it fixed by the weekend