B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Where is the TCM?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2010, 08:36 PM
Default Where is the TCM?

My 96 a4 quattro is currently in limp mode when I turn it on and the check engine light is not on. I am thinking that some water might have gotten into the TCM.

So where is the TCM and is there a write up on removing it? Also could something else be cause the car to go into limp mode but not trigger the check engine light?

Old 06-04-2010, 09:22 PM
Site Moderator

Under the carpet right in front of the passenger's front seat. Its pretty self explanatory.

Old 06-04-2010, 09:30 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by RobB5A4
My 96 a4 quattro is currently in limp mode when I turn it on and the check engine light is not on. I am thinking that some water might have gotten into the TCM.

So where is the TCM and is there a write up on removing it? Also could something else be cause the car to go into limp mode but not trigger the check engine light?
A simple search of the forums would have gotten you the knowlege you seek,i posted my own thread on the Transmission control modual,just 2 days ago as mine died and in safe mode,i can still drive it but it is not advised. So i drive my 1997 vw jetta for now,until i can get a repleacement TCM.

https://www.audiforums.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=151441 <---my thread on The TCM

Last edited by morpheous; 06-04-2010 at 09:33 PM.
Old 06-06-2010, 02:47 PM
1st Gear

Before shelling out $1500 for a new TCM... MAKE SURE that the problem is actually your TCM. There are a couple other problems that can put your car in limp mode. When mine was in limp mode it was the Multi-Function switch on the sire of the transmission. A little harder to replace than the TCM.... but MUCH cheaper.

So run Vag-Com and make SURE it is your TCM... and if it is the TCM, be certain the one you buy will work with your car. Each year has a few different models of TCM... all of which aren't compatiable with every car in the production year.

Old 06-06-2010, 09:54 PM

Well luckily the TCM was not fried but the area under the carpet and the black box holding it where full of water, I dried it out and plugged it back in it seems to work. Now I have to find out where the water is coming from.

Is there any other drains that could leak into the foot wells besides the sunroof, the drain under the battery, and the ac drain?