B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

White Smoke on start up only after car sits for a while

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2011, 11:40 PM
1st Gear
Default White Smoke on start up only after car sits for a while

I have this problem if I let my car sit for more than 2 days or so without starting it it will blow ALOT of white smoke from the exhaust. It is alot of smoke. It almost seems like there is something on fire right next to me smoke surround my whole car. It will go away after a few seconds, and will not blow smoke when I am driving. It also only will happen after I let the car sit for more than a few days. Normally white smoke means coolant in the exhaust so I would guess a head gasket but it doesn't do it all of the time and never when I am driving. So Im thinking its not the headgasket. Anyone have any ideas what would cause this. Car is 99.5 1.8t and the only problem with the car is it needs a new throttle body b/c I sometimes get a code p1565 throttle limit lower position not reached.

Old 08-15-2011, 10:38 AM
Administrator

How much gas is in the tank? You may have a slight leak on the gas cap seal. That'd allow moisture into the tank to condense and come out as water vapor. Less gas = more room for water/condensation.

Old 08-15-2011, 11:15 PM
1st Gear

Now that u mention it this does only happen when I am pretty low on gas. Do u think that this leak would cause gas to evaporate from my tank as well? If so I'll drop the tank and replace the seal but if it's not going to cause a gas leak then I won't bother doing it. I've had this happen on a few other cars I've worked on and usually when the seal is bad it will either leak gas while filling up or run out of gas extremely fast while driving. I seem to get ok mileage. about 350 miles on 14gallons. I did get slightly better mileage on a passat 1.8t i used to have but that was also 5 speed and not AWD.