B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Window regulator, Is FCP a good brand?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2012, 01:20 PM
1st Gear
Default Window regulator, Is FCP a good brand?

Well, my front passenger side window regulator failed yesterday. Pulling the door panel off, I can see that it's been replaced before due to marks left when they ground the rivet heads off with a dremel or die grinder. Pile of plastic crumbs laying in the bottom of the door. I was able to unloop the cables and slide the window all the way back up, and secure the window in the full up position with a couple aluminum home window slide locks with thumbscrews placed onto the tracks so at least I have a closed window for now... also unplugged the motor wiring connector so that it is disabled. The motor seems to still run just fine in both directions before I unplugged it.

I found a replacement regulator assembly online for $30. It's an FCP aftermarket brand. The genuine Audi/Volkswagon assembly seems to run around $150. Is FCP a reputable brand for this part or should I bite the bullet and pay full bore price for an Audi part? If FCP is good to go, then the $120 price difference is definitely substantial savings.

Old 08-04-2012, 01:47 PM

probably get what you pay for but considering you can replace it with an FCP part 4 times before you equal the genuine Audi part id say go FCP.

Old 08-04-2012, 01:59 PM
vgo
2nd Gear

I think FCP has been slowly developing a good rep out in the audi community.

Old 08-04-2012, 02:49 PM
1st Gear

I think I'll go ahead and gamble on the FCP parts. Shipping is free too, and this does not look like it's a real super pain of a repair job, so If I have to do it again too soon, it won't be too bad of a deal. Drilling the rivets is no big deal for me either, since I build experimental airplanes (Vans RVs) I have all the tools, plus a nice hangar to use as a workshop

BTW, here are some pics...

Pile of white plastic crumbs in the bottom of the door where the regulator attaches to the motor and cables is crumbling to pieces when you touch it. Gotta love that fine German quality plastic and how it stands up to Texas summer heat. Not. There's a drilled out rivet head laying in the pile too, from a previous replacement job.

Sliding Window Locks from Lowes hardware store

Window locks holding up the window in full closed position for now... I don't care if the thumbscrews dig into the tracks since the new regulator assembly comes with new tracks. You can see where the previous owner had the regulator assembly replaced once before. Whoever replaced it used some grinding tool to remove the old rivets.

Old 08-10-2012, 08:16 PM
1st Gear

Kudos to FCP. My parts arrived today, just on time for me to do the repairs this weekend. The quality of the new regulator looks pretty decent too.

Old 09-14-2012, 04:03 AM
Banned

Hi dear am newbie here and i read this forum it's really nice and informative i really like it i get most of useful information from it which can prove beneficial for me i was need some similar post's but i get your post on first search on Google search engine it's fulfill my need i really appreciate it and keep it up!!