B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

Aftermarket Stero rear speaker / amp Humming issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 08:56 AM
1st Gear
Default Aftermarket Stero rear speaker / amp Humming issues

Hi Everyone,
I see there are many issues on here regarding aftermarket steros but couldnt find one relating to my problem, so here goes...
recently bought a 2003 (B6) A4 130SE and would like to replace the symphony (non bose) radio with a new one so i can use my Ipod anyway bought an ALPINE CDE-W203Ri and fitted it got the rear speakers and everthing working ok using the PC9-401, thei noticed this quite loud hum from the rear speakers and also a high pitched noise coning from the rear offside door speaker??? was told that it may be a bad ground but when i asked my local car audion store they said that the stereo would already be grounded through the audi harness and that it might just be that the head unit is not compatible with the car??... anyway after much messing about i returned the stero for refund but am now unsure what to do... was looking at the Clarion CX609E but will i get the same problem again? anybody had this problem? any advice would be greatly received

Cheers in advance

Old 03-15-2012, 01:44 PM
1st Gear

Is the PC9-401 an adaptor for the symphony stereo to add an ipod? Have you tried removing this to see if there is a change? It does kinda sound like a bad ground from what you've mentioned.

I've never heard of a stereo not being compatable with a car, maybe the harness. I would contact Alpine directly or Crutchfield and explain the issues you are having. Crutchfield has great customer support.

Old 03-15-2012, 03:02 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by careercadaver
Is the PC9-401 an adaptor for the symphony stereo to add an ipod? Have you tried removing this to see if there is a change? It does kinda sound like a bad ground from what you've mentioned.

I've never heard of a stereo not being compatable with a car, maybe the harness. I would contact Alpine directly or Crutchfield and explain the issues you are having. Crutchfield has great customer support.
the PC9-401 is the harness is the one used to get the rear speakers and amplified aerial working... so if it's a grounding issue what do you do? just run a wire to the case of the head unit to a ground point on the car?

Old 03-21-2012, 10:00 AM
1st Gear

The headunit should be grounded through the harness, so no additional ground should be required assuming you have the correct harness for the car. I say grounding issue because that's usually that would cause a hum. I am only familiar with the Bose system. I'd still say Alpine or Crutchfield are your best sourches for a solution.

Old 03-22-2012, 12:24 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by careercadaver
The headunit should be grounded through the harness, so no additional ground should be required assuming you have the correct harness for the car. I say grounding issue because that's usually that would cause a hum. I am only familiar with the Bose system. I'd still say Alpine or Crutchfield are your best sourches for a solution.
Thanks for the advice mate