B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

Bad knocking noise from engine.

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2008, 04:08 AM
Default Bad knocking noise from engine.

Before I explain the situation i want to list the things i've done to the car.

1. New waterpump, tensioner, timing belt
2. New spark plugs and coils.
3. last but not least New TURBO

before i changed my turbo my car was running on a bent valve did all my compression test on it and comfirm it was one bent valve. I was able to drive my car for a very long time until a couple days ago when I was driving on the highway and notice my oil light came on. Stop by the gas station filled it up with only 2 quarts..still my oil light was sill on. Drove for about another 10 mintues i notice white smoke was coming out of exhaust. Drove my car all the way home *2 hour drive* with all the smoke coming from the pipe*luckly no cops were out haha. Park my car for a week then change my turbo. Got rid of the smoke problem but still getting this knocking noise from the engine *LOUD*. I went for a test drive knocking noise went away only when im reving at a high rpm. When i drop it back to neutral the knocking noise gets even lourder and i notice my temperture was heating up, then the car just turn off and i started back up same knocking noise. Anyone one have any suggestions? Spent ALOT of money already and looking forward to spending more.

Friends and mechanic's suggested:
1. Bad head gasket.
2. Honey comb inside the cat. converter.
3. Bad valve.
4. Last BAD ENGINE haha.

HELP!!!!!!!!!!

Old 09-28-2008, 09:58 PM

anyone?

Old 09-29-2008, 10:22 AM
Site Moderator

Are you sure it wasn't an oil pressure light!? Damn man if you were driving on a flashing red oil pressure light you just blew your motor bro. If your hearing a diesel sound then you just fried the tensioner, but if it sounds like a deep knock then you probably spun a main bearing or rod bearing. You would need to have your engine rebuilt.
The easiest way to tell if you screwed up your motor would be to take the valve cover off and one of the cam caps and check for wear, if it has scoring you fried your engine.

Old 09-29-2008, 06:11 PM

I dont know but im about to kick this **** to the curb its realllyyyyy pissing me off

Old 09-30-2008, 10:21 AM
Site Moderator

Just try this because you may be already up s**ts creek. Get a can of seafoam from pepboys or autozone etc. and pour half the can into the oil fill. Run the engine for about an hour then change the oil and filter. If the noise doesn't go away then you need to have a tech look at it.