B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

Wiring to ignition coils - insulation cracked and missing

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2012, 12:03 AM
1st Gear
Default Wiring to ignition coils - insulation cracked and missing

I recently replaced my spark plugs and when removing the connector to coil #1 I broke the clip that prevents the connector from slipping off. I thought this wouldn't be an issue because I was able to pick up an SMP TechSmart replacement connector (p/n H11001) at the local parts store. I was planning on popping the sockets out of the old connector and then installing them into the new connector instead of splicing in the new pigtail as a whole. When I pulled the rubber boot off the back of the old connector, I found the insulation to be severely brittle from the heat and much of it was missing.

I'm wondering if anyone has done this repair themselves? For several years in the recent past I designed automotive wiring harnesses and prototyped many of them myself, so I have the skills. The only problem is, I probably won't be able to get my hands on all of the right parts to do a proper rebuild of the part of the harness that is on top of the engine, i.e. the portion that's likely to be burnt to a crisp. I'm guessing cylinder #1 is not the only one with the problem. FYI, this is a 2002 1.8T with 140,000km (87,000mi). I'm attaching a poorly focused photo of the cracked and missing insulation.

I hope someone has done this repair. I haven't had much luck with my search to find an existing post.

Attached Thumbnails Wiring to ignition coils - insulation cracked and missing-cracked_insulation.jpg  
Old 09-06-2012, 12:12 PM
4th Gear

im pretty sure that someone on the net there is a repair kit for the entire set of wires. Found it here you are! Home Page > ES#7679 Coil Pack Wiring Harness Replacement - 1J0971658L

Old 09-06-2012, 01:08 PM
1st Gear

Thanks pa4ul! I didn't find that in my Google search... I should have thought to look on the ECS website. I guess I better order that ASAP so I can have my car back. I'll try and remember to post back so people will know how it went.

Old 09-06-2012, 06:23 PM
4th Gear

yea i actually had that dont on my car when i first got it. Idiot who has is prior was totally ruined all those clips.

Old 11-03-2012, 06:40 PM
1st Gear

Just wanted to follow up now that I've got everything fixed. I didn't buy the repair harness from ECS because it wasn't listed for my car, so I wasn't sure it was a proper replacement. I ended up finding a generic repair harness from 034 Motorsport. It worked out pretty well in the end, but they could make the harness a bit better. I would have made it 6 inches longer so that the splice connector could go up against the firewall (you can see I strapped it on of the vent pipes). They also didn't account for the fact that each coil has a really small (22 AWG) wire, so the sockets they provided didn't crimp properly to those wires (I just squished the crap out of them). And instead of a Deutsch connector, they used the cheap knock-off from Amphenol. That caused me a half hour of frustration for something that would have taken 10 seconds with a real Deutsch connector. I'll add a photo here of the final install. If someone wants a better quality photo, I could email it.

Attached Images  
Old 01-13-2016, 03:46 AM
1st Gear
Default help

I bought the same wiring harness kit needing help where to place the wires into the other blue clip. I dont want to rewire all the wires wrong.

Old 01-13-2016, 05:56 PM
1st Gear

I bought a complete replacement harness from USP Motorsports, but it's not a simple install as the wires go all the way to the ECU! Will try to take a crack at it this weekend, I'll let you know how it went.

Old 01-18-2016, 03:39 PM
1st Gear

Dred, I can't remember the exact procedure I followed, but you need to mark the wires on the ECU side before you start cutting by tracing the wires from the connectors at the coils (on the existing harness). Then you can map out the wires on the new harness (if there wasn't a map in the instructions) and match up the numbers on the 2 sides of the new connector. Only 3 wires from each coil go to the connector. All the black wires are spliced together and connected to the ring terminal that connects to the engine block. I'll see if I can dig up my notes, but I probably don't have them anymore.