B7 Models Please discuss all 2005.5 - 2008 B7 A4 topics here...

Audi B7 (07) Tricks

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 09:00 AM
1st Gear
Default Audi B7 (07) Tricks

Hi all

I've just purchased an Audi A4 (B7 - 07) S-line. I've had a search about but I'm wanting to know any cool tricks or tips that it can do. I've found a few tips which i have tried. Re-set the throttle with the Key, Holding the open/close to open/close the windows, Hold the drivers side 'Auto' button on the climate control to control both temperature controls and hold the Passenger 'Auto' button to disengage this function.

Is there anything else I'm missing? I've discovered the boot release, and the buttons to disarm the movement sensor and tilt alarm.

Its all a big game to me as i don't have the user manual.

Old 02-13-2013, 02:20 PM
1st Gear

I didn't know the one about controlling the AC on both sides at same time. I thought it must somehow have this function, since in all other cars there's a button for dual or single control. Thanks.
If you hold down the "+" temperature button and the recirculate air button for about a second, you can switch between Fahrenheit and Celsius. You can also do this from the menu, but it takes way longer.
The best one is, if you reflash your ECU with APR or any other software, you'll go MUCH faster (if you have the 2.0T)

Old 02-13-2013, 04:34 PM
1st Gear

On my 2008 A4 cabriolet you can do the following.

Place key in drivers door and turn clockwise and hold. This will close all windows and lock the doors. Turn counter clockwise and hold. This will open all windows and unlock doors. I think this is pretty much common knowledge for Audi owners.

What may not be known, especially people without a convertible obviously, is this. When the top is down. Place the key into the drivers door and turn the key clockwise, immediately return the key back counter clockwise and then turn clockwise again and hold. This will close the convertible top, close windows and lock the doors. You must hold the key clockwise the entire time while the top is closing.

When the top is closed. Place the key into the drivers door and turn the key counter clockwise, immediately return the key back clockwise and then turn counter clockwise again and hold. This will open the convertible top, open the windows and unlock the doors. You must hold the key counter clockwise the entire time while the top is opening.

This method is of course designed so you can open and close the top when outside the car and the engine off. It is recommended you don't use this way very often since it taxes the battery quite a bit. It is better to open/close the top while in the car and the engine is running.

I usually only use the key method when the car is in my garage and I don't want to open the garage door and I want the top up or down. This way I don't have to start the car and fill my garage with fumes. My garage has A/C and opening the door lets in hot air.

Old 02-13-2013, 05:13 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Matt_matt51
Hi all

I've just purchased an Audi A4 (B7 - 07) S-line. I've had a search about but I'm wanting to know any cool tricks or tips that it can do. I've found a few tips which i have tried. Re-set the throttle with the Key, Holding the open/close to open/close the windows, Hold the drivers side 'Auto' button on the climate control to control both temperature controls and hold the Passenger 'Auto' button to disengage this function.

Is there anything else I'm missing? I've discovered the boot release, and the buttons to disarm the movement sensor and tilt alarm.

Its all a big game to me as i don't have the user manual.
Aha! Thank you for pointing the climate control out to me. When I first bought it, I could control both sides, and then I don't know if it was when the battery died, or if a passenger I had at some point accidentally disengaged the feature, but suddenly I no longer had control and had been baffled at how to turn it back on. I do have the owners manual and couldn't find anything in there about it; though I haven't ruled out that I just wasn't looking in the right spot

I am a little curious about this "boot release" you mention; that's a new one to me- what is it/what does it do/how do you do it?

Old 02-13-2013, 08:48 PM
2nd Gear

The boot release is the trunk release. My old Jetta called the trunk the boot. If you want to lock out the trunk release button, turn the trunk lock, which is over the license plate, so you have to point you key straight up. You likely have the rainsense wipers. So if you leave the stalk one notch up from off, your wipers will be automatic, coming on and adjusting speed as needed. You can fine tune the sensitivity with the little slider *** on the stalk. Leave the mirror control button in the center, not pointing to either mirror, and when you turn on the rear defroster, the side mirrors will defrost. The mirrors that will do this, have a slight blue tint to them. If I remember, this will also heat the washer nozzles. If you have the memory seats, you should also then have the tilt down right hand mirror, which tilts down with the car in reverse if the mirror *** points to the right mirror. That feature does need to be set before it works. If you don't have it, you can turn it on using a VAGCOM tool. Push and hold the Load and Eject buttons on the radio, and you can load or eject all CD's at once instead of one at a time.

Last edited by B7Night; 02-13-2013 at 08:51 PM.
Old 02-14-2013, 01:34 PM
1st Gear

wow, thanks B7Night. I didn't know any of these. So does that mean that if you don't have the seat memory feature, then you don't have the tilt down either? And does it only work for the right mirror? I have electric seats, but no memory, so just curious. I always wanted this, since you can't see anything in these stupid US spec mirrors. Why don't they just admit that Euro spec mirrors are WAAAY better and safer and adopt the code or whatever. You can see a whole car in a euro mirror, not just the headlight of the car behind you.
I thought the defrost on the mirrors worked automatically, didn't know the **** had to be in the center.
Good thread, keep it going.

Old 02-14-2013, 04:10 PM
2nd Gear

So you're saying that the tilt mirror in reverse option can be vag-com'd on even if I don't have memory seats? I have just about every other option BUT those two. I'm indifferent to memory seats, as I'm the only one who ever drives the car- but like megailko said, you really can't see squat in these side mirrors; I don't have a comparison, having never driven one with euro spec, but I'm incessantly frustrated particularly when reversing at how difficult it is to see anything behind/below me. Probably save me a lot of curb-rashing on my wheels if I could see the floor a little better when parallel parking. Also, thanks for clarifying the boot tip. I guessed that might be the reference, as I have heard of the trunk referred to as a boot before, but I wanted to make sure. I knew of that feature already as it was the same on my old B5. Also, the tip about ejecting all the CDs at once will come in handy before long so thanks for that.

Old 02-14-2013, 07:25 PM
2nd Gear

My old Jetta GLX had the memory seats and the tilt down in reverse right hand mirror. It was great. The way the Audi is optioned, you have to have memory seats to get the tilt down reverse right mirror. There is a thread on the Audiworld site that talks about all the things you can turn on and off with the VAGCOM equipment. One of those items was the tilt down in reverse right hand mirror, and the code change was included in the thread. It doesn't quite tilt the same as if it was included originally, but works well enough according to the thread. Also, if you turn the **** 180 degrees, so the little line/dot faces the other way, the mirrors fold in for the car wash or tight parking situations.

Oh, also if you really want hands free and your car doesn't have it, Parrot has a kit that interconnects between your radio and steering wheel buttons to run your phone through the radio. I think it's the CK 3000. It doesn't have a visible LCD controller, so it looks factory, and with the optional steering wheel kit, you use the buttons on the wheel that you all ready have making for a clean install. The mic can go up under the visor, or in the overhead console where the lights and tilt roof controls are. There is also a great thread on installing the unit on the audiworld site. If I find the link I'll post it. Just look up Parrot, ck3000 and audi a4 2006 in a Google search and you might find it.

Last edited by B7Night; 02-14-2013 at 07:28 PM.
Old 02-14-2013, 07:42 PM
2nd Gear

I almost forgot, if you change the battery, be sure the place has one of those memory savers plugged into the phone charger port by the parking brake, and not the cig lighter(it deactivates when the car is off). My car got totally scrambled when the dealer changed my battery. They said it was not a typical thing, but can happen. The locks fobs and other things were going nuts. The dealer had to reflash the car, as the method of sticking the key in the lock and following the instructions didn't work. They didn't charge me, but did say if some other place had caused the problem, the dealer would have had to charge me to reprogram everything.

Old 02-15-2013, 05:38 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by B7Night
My old Jetta GLX had the memory seats and the tilt down in reverse right hand mirror. It was great. The way the Audi is optioned, you have to have memory seats to get the tilt down reverse right mirror. There is a thread on the Audiworld site that talks about all the things you can turn on and off with the VAGCOM equipment.
Could I bother you to find and post this link? I have a friend that's got a VAGCOM and I would love to code in the mirrors if I can, even though I don't have the memory seats- as well as any other fun things that might be listed on this thread you mention. Thanks

Quick Reply: Audi B7 (07) Tricks