Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Squealing breaks

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2006, 02:50 AM
Default Squealing breaks

New Audi owner here. Just purchased an 02 2.7T, ming blue, black interior, every option but navigation and heated seats--even the nicer wheels with the forked spokes. Only 31k on the clock.

The vehicle just ran out of warranty about 2 weeks before I bought it. The dealer that I bought it from (not an Audi dealer) took it to the Audi dealer to let them run through it right after they got it before the warranty ran out. The dealer did a ton of work including new brake pads. The brakes are solid as they can be, but they squeal some in stop and go traffic. It is about to drive me crazy. I took it back to the dealer that installed the pads. They checked it out and told me (about 5 times) that the brakes were "within specs." I don't know exactly what the "specs" are for brake squeal. This is my first Audi so I certainly don't know all the ins and outs of these cars, but I didn't buy a high-end German car with the expectation that I would have to listen to the brakes squeal. Has anyone experienced this problem? The car has only been driven about 400 miles since the pads were installed. I thought at first that it might just take some time for them to get broken in. I have even gone to the car wash to blow out any excess brake dust. I would appreciate any thoughts that anyone has.

One other question--I had the dealer that I purchased the car from quote me an extended warranty. They quoted $2900 for a 4yr/48k 0 deductible bumper to bumper warranty. Seemed way too high to me so I passed. The service writer at the Audi store told me that I did not want to own one of these cars out of warranty. I have since been shopping around and find that most of the warranties are in the $2500+ range. Another Audi dealer in town quoted me $2600 for a 4/48 $50 deductible through Fidelity Warranty Services. How do those prices compare with what anyone else has found?

Old 02-15-2006, 11:34 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: Squealing breaks

can't answer you about the warranty....sorry

but for the brakes....

alot of times when brakes are replaced the owner doen not "bed" the pads and rotors..
what happens is that the pads don't get hot enough and a glaze forms on the pads, when the brakes are applied a harmonic squeal happens (high pitch)...
what to do....
this is going to sound weird, but do a half dozen or so panic stops in reverse. Get going about 20-30 MPH and slam on the brakes, this will burn off the glaze. and the squeal will go away...
BUT, you will need to "bed" the brakes.

find a old seldom driven road, get going about 65-70 MPH and slam on the binders HARD, do this about 5-6 times (enough to really smell the brakes. LET THEM COOL! (wait about 10 to 15 Min), and do it again

LET THEM COOL AGAIN, and then your done

You will find that the car will stop alot shorter now and you will have alot less dust build-up on the wheels.....

PM me if you have any other questions.....
Alex

Old 02-17-2006, 12:00 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: Squealing breaks

Im trainging to be a mechanic and just wanted to let you guys know all brake pads squeal you just hear some more than others. I know of a trick you can do to your rotors. Put them on the lathe and turn just one spot on the rotor so there is a line in the middle it will keep the pad from moving around and keep it from squealing