B7 Models Please discuss all 2005.5 - 2008 B7 A4 topics here...

On the fence about buying an A4

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2011, 12:23 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by longoriajr
I would look at another car. I had a 2008 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off-Road Package, and trade it in for a 2006 Audi A4T Quattro. Never did the Tacoma give me a single problem...seriously. I decided to get the A4 because I was moving to the city and needed something that was good on gas, luxurious, and just fun to drive. So I got the A4 and ever since then it's been a nightmare.
1. $700 to replace rear brake pads.
2. $388 to replace ballast for the infamous Right Dipped Headlight problem (I did it myself, the dealership quoted me $984).
3. $50 to replace the xenon bulbs

This car is fun to drive and very good looking, but I would take my Tacoma back in a heartbeat.
rear pads are easy and are definetly a DIY with proper tools, and so are the front ones, i just bought the parts at the local oreily's and autozone and changed rotors and pads in the front(and even painted the calipers), and changed out the rear pads, oil changes i have done it twice myself on this car, (i had to buy the oil filter tool off the SNAP-ON truck) but if you pay people to do the work for you, it can and WILL get pricey.

Old 05-22-2011, 11:03 PM
1st Gear
Default Smoking Glue

I wish I had been smoking glue at the time I paid for my recent maintenance requirement. This might be a dumb question, but when replacing break pads on an Audi must you replace the rotors as well? The guy where I go said on Audi's you have to replace the rotors when you replace the pads. When I use to replace brake pads on my Explorer I would just take the rotors in and have them shaved (if needed), bleed the break lines, and replace the pads. Owning an Audi you should definitely learn how to DIY. If not you will be smoking tons of glue...Audi Glue.

Old 05-22-2011, 11:55 PM
1st Gear

Hey guys, I'm actually on the fence to get a 08' A4 Manual. The only thing I want to know is that I've read all about the cam follower and I thought I'd just go ahead and replace it when I get the A4. Then I read about the extended warranty about the FP, camshaft and cam follower. It seems only apply to the 05'-07' model, at least that's what I see from reading the letter posted in the forum. I guess my question is, do I not have to worry about the issue in the 08' model?? Did they re-engineer the follower?

Old 05-23-2011, 09:28 AM
2nd Gear

You should not have to replace rotors with each brake pad replacement. They may not even need to be turned depending on how rough they are.

2008 up used a different type of follower (hardened I think). There have been some reports of problems on the forums. I called three different Audi dealers and even had my brother (service manager) call an Audi store where he knew the service manager (owned by the same group) and they all had replaced zero followers due to wear and had not seen any issues when replaced with the timing belt. They did say that not many 2008s have hit the mileage (125K) for the change yet. So that could change.

Old 05-23-2011, 10:04 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by longoriajr
I wish I had been smoking glue at the time I paid for my recent maintenance requirement. This might be a dumb question, but when replacing break pads on an Audi must you replace the rotors as well? The guy where I go said on Audi's you have to replace the rotors when you replace the pads. When I use to replace brake pads on my Explorer I would just take the rotors in and have them shaved (if needed), bleed the break lines, and replace the pads. Owning an Audi you should definitely learn how to DIY. If not you will be smoking tons of glue...Audi Glue.
well then, i guess the place you take your audi for service really love to see you walk into the shop. yes it's always best to replace rotors and pads at the same time.

Originally Posted by jlsa4
Hey guys, I'm actually on the fence to get a 08' A4 Manual. The only thing I want to know is that I've read all about the cam follower and I thought I'd just go ahead and replace it when I get the A4. Then I read about the extended warranty about the FP, camshaft and cam follower. It seems only apply to the 05'-07' model, at least that's what I see from reading the letter posted in the forum. I guess my question is, do I not have to worry about the issue in the 08' model?? Did they re-engineer the follower?
i was also worried about the cam follower and i had the original swapped out and the original follower still looks fine. i change the oil every 5000 miles-which helps.