B7 Models Please discuss all 2005.5 - 2008 B7 A4 topics here...

low fuel pressure 5.5

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2010, 11:52 AM
1st Gear
Default low fuel pressure 5.5

does anyone have any more info on the low fuel pressure, i saw on a few forums that there was a fix?......this really needs to get solved. have had the low fuel pressure code...... of and on. for almost 2 years.............. help....

Old 07-25-2010, 01:24 PM
1st Gear

look at ur cam follower that is located under the fuel pump, there are a couple DIY's out there for it if u just search, u might as well just replace it cuz if it fails u gotta replace the cam, follower and fuel pump which is expensive.

Old 07-28-2010, 01:30 PM
Former Sponsor

It was not smart to let this code stay there for two years, but it is better late than never.

Basically, your fuel system is different than most fuel injected cars before it. You have a normal fuel pump located in the gas tank that feeds the engine, but everything changes when it gets to the engine.

You have a second pump that is driven by the cams and injects the fuel at an extremely high pressure directly into the combustion chamber. This is called the high pressure fuel pump, or HPFP for short

This is the FSI fuel system

Now, the problem lies in the cam follower, the piece in between the cam and high pressure fuel pump. It is known to wear over time, causing the code you see. The worst case scenario, is that the cam itself can be worn down, and cause major engine damage down the line.

My suggestion to you would be to get a professional to check the cam follower and pull the valve cover to inspect the condition of the cams.

Old 07-31-2010, 12:09 PM
1st Gear

ive had pros look at it.. that specialize in audi. (and not the dealership).. its def. not the cam. follower was changed as a precaution,,,, cam was checks....... fine........ pump was checked fine..... this is a prob with b7 models... so have it sum dont...i dono where the prob. lies... ppl i know who checked it out. said they can prob figure out a solution,, but they wanted the car for a while .. so i told them id give it. to them when im ready to do the timming belt. and they could just keep it for a week....but im looking for anyone who has found a solution for this. cuz audi doesnt seem to b doing it...... not saying its not related to the fsi fueling system. but they have checked it ruled out the follower and cam. of any wrong doing....... i only geta code once in a while (usually apon startup)....dealership just kept changing the low end sensor.... then after it kept up. wanted to chage the pump.....but my ppl. who checked it said the pump..is not the problem here. checked it said its right what it should b b/w the speaks. so idk.. just looking for more info on this