B7 Models Please discuss all 2005.5 - 2008 B7 A4 topics here...

TC's reference thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2011, 07:59 PM
1st Gear
Default TC's reference thread

In the interest of keeping track of what I have done to my car, I figured I would start this thread. Not a build thread per-say, but documentation for what I am doing.

11/18/2011: Sirius Satellite install
https://www.audiforums.com/forum/b7-...007-b7-176209/

11/26/2011: BSH Pcv re-vamp.

Install actually took 20 minutes. Two things to do that are not on instructions found here: http://www.bshspeedshop.com/bshstore...ns/fsi_pcv.pdf

1. once you take of the accordion hose and install the manifold block off plug (step 2), disconnect the sensor that Is close to the pcv so as not to break it.

2. attaching the hose to the nipple is a pain in the ***. Its a tight fit. in order to get the hose on, I used vaseline. Insert jokes here....

The BSH pcv valve revamp kicks ***. the difference in my car was noticeable right away. The rough idle disappeared, and the car is much smoother now. If you are on the fence about doing this, get off the fence and do it. Worth it.

The goal for my car is to piece it together little by little, then go stage 2.

Last edited by Toasted Coastie; 11-28-2011 at 08:11 PM.
Old 11-28-2011, 02:27 PM
2nd Gear

I have had a BSH PCV sitting around since this summer waiting for me to get off my lazy butt and put it on. I finally did it this weekend. For me, the hardest part was getting the hoses off! They were so tight and that 4-toothed clip is a PITA.

I didn't really notice any changes in idle or driving, but my PCV was fine, so the way I look at it, I'm just bulletproofing it. I've also had about a year and a half to get used to mine, so maybe I was just used to the idle being a bit rough and never noticed it.

Definitely a worthwhile upgrade. I now have that and the updated DV (if you haven't checked yours for that, TC, you should). Maybe someday I'll get brave and fix my window safety switch (I'd rather mess with the oily bits than fiddle with interior trim parts).

Old 11-28-2011, 02:45 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by KingWulfgar
I now have that and the updated DV (if you haven't checked yours for that, TC, you should).
Next on the hit list.

I'm a big fan of doing my due dilligence before each move. I research/research/research everything I decide to do, but the overwhelming consensus for the PCV/DV needing to be replaced/upgraded really negated the need to over research.

Old 11-28-2011, 05:23 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Toasted Coastie
Next on the hit list.

I'm a big fan of doing my due dilligence before each move. I research/research/research everything I decide to do, but the overwhelming consensus for the PCV/DV needing to be replaced/upgraded really negated the need to over research.
Yeah, I'm not sorry about doing either. The DV, I just let die on its own. It threw the code, I knew with 95% certainty what it was, and replaced it. I still want to get a Stage 1 APR, but other things have taken priority, so that will have to wait a while.

Old 11-28-2011, 06:46 PM
Banned

if you're going to do a stage 2, look into a downpipe replacement. it's by far the biggest bottleneck in the 2.0T exhaust system. going with a high flow cat or test pipe with a new cat-back exhaust would be a shame without a new downpipe. i like the one from RAI.

the latest OEM DV works fine with the extra boost. also don't waste your money on any part of the intake system. the stock system is perfectly fine.

Old 11-28-2011, 07:54 PM
1st Gear

Yeah, I've learned that lesson on other cars (intake). More like noise makers.

As for the downpipe/hi-flow cat, I was planning on doing the combo. Working on baby steps right now. First, bulletproofing, then additions. I have the OEM DV on the way now, and will probably do that in the next few weeks. I'm looking to set a goal line for April/May for the downpipe/HFC/flash.

No looking to do the full exhaust, am going to wait until the stock is cashed.

I've been reading everything I can get my mouse on in this forum, as well as a few other forums, and everything points in the direction I am planning on. My goal is to get the most bang for the buck (yes I know, horsepower = $$$$), at the same time keeping the car as "granny" as I can looks wise. No stickers, no lowering, no wheels, nothing. All sleeper....

Old 11-29-2011, 09:52 AM
Banned

yes, sleeper is so much classier. i went in baby steps too. first i got the latest OEM DV, then the stage 1, then the latest OEM PCV. i'm more than happy with these mods but the ultimate goal is to do what you plan to do too but i might as well get the cat-back too. keep an eye out for APR sales. you can get 4 modes no extra charge. one includes stock mode, so you can keep the flash then when the performance parts are in, just toggle the mode.

Old 11-30-2011, 04:19 PM
1st Gear
Cool

Originally Posted by esandes
yes, sleeper is so much classier.
I had put a huge post together earlier this morning, but the interwebs cutout on us here, and it didn't post. So I'll try again.

This car HAS to be sleeper. When we took delivery of it, the first thing out of her mouth was "you're not going to start adding **** to this one, are you?" Let me explain why she said this.

The truck I traded in for this car was a 2000 Toyota Tundra SR5 with the TRD package and 4.7 V8 that we purchased used in 2001. We had bought it to tow a boat, and for me to drive to my duty station (Coast Guard Station Gloucester, MA). So as per usual, I joined a forum called tundrasolutions.com to do research on the truck prior to purchase. Of course when I saw what everyone was doing to their trucks, I wanted to as well.

So, the truck got a UniChip, headers, duals, roll pan, tauneau cover, injectors, low temp thermo. Yeah, she wasnt impressed unless she had her boot into it. Then she was just mad.

So after a while, commuting started to suck the life out of my wallet. I sold the unichip. The duals rusted and I replaced them with a stock exhaust. My wife backed into a pole with it, so it got the regular back bumper on it. Then we stopped using it because we bought a camper that was a little too big for it to tow, and bought a new (that year) 2009 Tundra with the 5.7, and kept the old one for around the house kind of crap (dump runs and **** like that).

Anyway, the point of this story is, as long as I keep it granny, I'm good to go. As long as I do the work at one of my cousins garages......

By going in baby steps, I'm not overdoing anything at any given point of time.

Last edited by Toasted Coastie; 05-01-2015 at 07:18 PM.
Old 01-02-2012, 04:03 PM
1st Gear
Default SpecDock 2point5

So I got a smoking bonus at work last week, and was able to convince my wife to let me get a docking station for my iPhone 4, and put it in the car. So I ordered a SpecDock 2point5 from Enfig Car Stereo in NJ. As posted before, I have a Sirrius Satelite module installed, so I had to order an extra part for that. Because it is an iPhone 4 I want to use in the car, I also needed to get a different cable to be able to charge the phone. So here is what is on order:

Spec Dock 2point 5
Dension GW16AC1, This unit will allow use of the info station located between the Tach and Speedo
Audi Sat Pass So I can use the satelite as well as the dock
Stereo Keys
Power Booster Cable For the iPhone to be able to charge
Cable

I'll be using the guides that Enfig posted on youtube:

Part 1 2007 & 2008 Audi A4 Dension GW16AC1 & spec.dock AUDIB7V2I install - YouTube

Part 2 2007 & 2008 Audi A4 Dension GW16AC1 & spec.dock AUDIB7V2I install - YouTube

Really looking forward to doing this, as this is my commuter car, and all my cds have been converted to MP3s.

I realize that this might be the pricey solution ($413.93), but I am looking for good fit and finish as well as accessability. Could I get away with doing it differently? Absolutely. Do I want to? No.

Last edited by Toasted Coastie; 01-03-2012 at 02:49 PM.
Old 01-02-2012, 09:58 PM
1st Gear

Don't mean to digress, but WTH is a smoking bonus? Never heard of it, lol...

Quick Reply: TC's reference thread