B8 Models Please discuss all 2009+ B8 A4 topics here...

Help needed on fault finding

Old 06-06-2019, 06:37 PM
1st Gear
Default Help needed on fault finding

So I am a proud owner of 2009 A4 Avant , its 2.0TDI, 6 speed manual and got it 3 years ago and am up to 181k miles. 2 years ago had new flywheel and clutch, Passed mot clean (tyres low but that's normal), but before mot was in garage twice to find fault but both times (a day in garage) came up empty.
*first time they sayd maybe driveshaft but then again no leaks and no movement.
*second time maybe shocks front but put through suspension test and passed fine.

Now I'll try to describe the issue I'm having:

Sometimes say 1-2times out of 3 when setting off theres juddering. Like the car is mildly shaking.
Then theres this odd feeling left (nearside) wheel is going by it's own way (does go straight but still).
And the most clear thing is this metal clank / loud knock noise when I turn the wheels out ( like slapping ) , but again does not happen always.

Got a long-ish European trip coming up in August about 5k miles and would like to find out what the issue is.

Any ideas , or what to have checked?

Not sure if relevant but last year I was in MoT and failed due split nearside cv boot, and it was replaced by Audi and then passed. Few months after that was when I first noticed the metal knock sound. Did they leave something loose or ...?

Or should I just fork out £60 and have it checked by Audi but they dont guarantee they'll find the fault.

Old 06-08-2019, 07:37 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by WorldUK
So I am a proud owner of 2009 A4 Avant , its 2.0TDI, 6 speed manual and got it 3 years ago and am up to 181k miles. 2 years ago had new flywheel and clutch, Passed mot clean (tyres low but that's normal), but before mot was in garage twice to find fault but both times (a day in garage) came up empty.
*first time they sayd maybe driveshaft but then again no leaks and no movement.
*second time maybe shocks front but put through suspension test and passed fine.

Now I'll try to describe the issue I'm having:

Sometimes say 1-2times out of 3 when setting off theres juddering. Like the car is mildly shaking.
Then theres this odd feeling left (nearside) wheel is going by it's own way (does go straight but still).
And the most clear thing is this metal clank / loud knock noise when I turn the wheels out ( like slapping ) , but again does not happen always.

Got a long-ish European trip coming up in August about 5k miles and would like to find out what the issue is.

Any ideas , or what to have checked?

Not sure if relevant but last year I was in MoT and failed due split nearside cv boot, and it was replaced by Audi and then passed. Few months after that was when I first noticed the metal knock sound. Did they leave something loose or ...?

Or should I just fork out £60 and have it checked by Audi but they dont guarantee they'll find the fault.
Did the dealer replace the CV joint or just repack and change the boot. If the old boot was split and the grease came out the joint might have been damaged . I would hope they replaced the joint/half shaft. The judder on take off could be either the joint or maybe back in the clutch area.

Old 06-08-2019, 07:49 PM
1st Gear

As far I know they just replaced the boot. As it was free due I had the "emissions" service year before and then got email with offer of free mot and mot guarantee up to £750. So they did the mot and replaced the boot for free.

Got the car booked in again on Monday, so should I just ask to check the cvjoint in question ?

Old 06-08-2019, 08:16 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by WorldUK
As far I know they just replaced the boot. As it was free due I had the "emissions" service year before and then got email with offer of free mot and mot guarantee up to £750. So they did the mot and replaced the boot for free.

Got the car booked in again on Monday, so should I just ask to check the cvjoint in question ?
Yes I would ask them to check the joint for play to see if it is worn.