B8 Models Please discuss all 2009+ B8 A4 topics here...

What's the verdict? -Oil Consumption

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 07:26 PM
1st Gear

I recently purchased an '09 CPO Premium Plus with 36K miles. The dealer told me that Audi had instructed them to do the breather valve (not sure if this is right) along with an extensive software change. They are doing this for all of their customer with '09 2.0T engines. My car had a history of going about 3,000 miles before needing a quart of oil. The dealer said that it should now be closer to 5,000 miles. I've only gone about 500 miles since it was done and the oil is full, so we will see how it does further down the road.

Old 03-29-2012, 12:24 PM
1st Gear

18k on ours, and I have yet to have any oil consumption issue.

Old 04-03-2012, 07:37 PM
1st Gear
Default im consuming oil, but apparently i passed the test

I noticed oil consumption problems with my '10 a4 around 15k miles. I did the consumption test and they said my car passed.

I do seem to need to add 1 quart every 3k-5k miles.

This thread makes me want to do the consumption test again because my car seems to consume as much oil as those that have needed the repairs done.

Old 04-05-2012, 04:56 PM
1st Gear
Default Oil Consumption

My wife's 2009 A4 just went over 30K miles and it was diagnosed as being severely out of parameters on the oil consumption test after I have been haranguing the service department for months about this issue. I was told by every service advisor at this dealership that typical oil usage is a quart every 3000 miles or so which I think is a bunch of crap as well. I know on her particular vehicle the oil consumption has been getting worse because I had been adding a quart every 2500-3000 miles but now it is up to a quart about every 1500 miles. The wife finished the test with only 1300 miles on the car but it was a quart down. The technician stated Audi will warrant the replacement of the piston rings utilizing the A3's rings due to better-improved clearance diameters-I thought the A3's engine was the same 2.0T so why would this model have different piston rings if it is the same engine? The technician was correct about Audi approving the engine work and the tear down will begin in a couple of weeks but I was told the dealership will only need the car for approximately three days. Seems awfully aggressive but what are the results from the new rings?

Old 04-14-2012, 11:13 PM
1st Gear

my buddy and I both have the same car (2009 a4 2.0T) and had the same issue... We both got the oil consumption test done at the dealer, both cars failed and were qualified to perform the audi recommended service while still under warranty and after the software update and piston ring replacement, we both have no issues I went way over 3k miles my oil is still 100% on the screen. I think after about 5-6k i needed a quart but by that time I was due for an oil change anyway.

Old 04-15-2012, 11:02 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by too2reaL
my buddy and I both have the same car (2009 a4 2.0T) and had the same issue... We both got the oil consumption test done at the dealer, both cars failed and were qualified to perform the audi recommended service while still under warranty and after the software update and piston ring replacement, we both have no issues I went way over 3k miles my oil is still 100% on the screen. I think after about 5-6k i needed a quart but by that time I was due for an oil change anyway.
Thanks for the update-the wife's car goes in under the Technician's wrench on Wednesday and I am happy for that since it is down nearly a quart since we just picked it up from the conclusion of the test from last week.

Old 04-18-2012, 01:36 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by too2reaL
check if your dealer switch your oil to 10W-40

Old 04-29-2012, 09:38 PM
1st Gear
Default Oil issue drove me back to BMW

I was all excited about my 2009 A4 prestige. Loved the look. Almost immediately I noticed that it went through some oil. I had traded in my BMW 328 for the A4 so comparing oil consumption was pretty easy. I put 30-35K miles a year so I expect some oil consumption but at 80,000 I was putting a quart in for every ~860 miles. They did some "fix" that I paid $700 for that didnt work. I had purchased the extended warranty that didnt do jack-sh&*t. When they told me that I had to pay around $5400 to replace the rings I filled the thing up with oil, visited the neighborhood BMW and traded the frickn thing in for a new 328. Having to travel with a case of oil in the trunk is no way to travel.

Old 04-30-2012, 11:21 AM
1st Gear

Heading to a new dealer.

Had the Audi recommended service done including the software update by Atlanta Audi dealer. Approaching 3000K miles since and oil gauge is down by ~ 80%. Seems to still be a problem.

@farrieta previous post, I hear ya.

This is Bull Crap! Shame on Audi!

Old 05-04-2012, 09:29 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Bradthoc
18k on ours, and I have yet to have any oil consumption issue.
Did I speak too soon? Driving home from baseball game last night and the light went off. Checked the oil level this morning on the computer and it wants me to add up to a quart of oil.

Of course, we did take the car on a 1500 mile road trip a month ago - but I'm still 500 miles away from my normal 5,000 mile oil change.

Guess I'll be calling the dealer this morning to arrange to have this checked out and get topped off.

Update: Called the dealer this afternoon. They said, "We do complimentary top-offs for oil... but you have to buy the oil." - Rockville Audi, Rockville, MD

Doesn't seem so complimentary then does it? Oh well, guess I'll go swing by the parts store and buy a quart to get me buy until next Saturday. Scheduled an oil consumption test to go along with my 20,000 mile oil change, etc.

Last edited by Bradthoc; 05-04-2012 at 04:48 PM. Reason: Update to fluid top off

Quick Reply: What's the verdict? -Oil Consumption