Classic Audi A section to discuss the models that have made Audi famous of the years...

95 Cabriolet camshaft/timing issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 10:12 AM
1st Gear
Default 95 Cabriolet camshaft/timing issue

Hello,

While performing the timing belt replacement, I was attempting to pop the left hand (as viewed from front) cam sprocket with my trusty puller when the tool slipped off. I realized that the camshaft had rotated approx. 35 degrees to the right. The crank was locked and the other cam was static. Can I just rotate the shaft back to its rightful position and proceed? I would base the right position by using the big hole/little hole flange that is sandwiched between the bolt head and the shaft. It has been keyed back on to the camshaft in the only way that it fits. Is this my course of action? I am in a bit of a time pinch. Thanks

Joe

Old 04-18-2012, 06:50 PM
1st Gear

The cam shaft you are referring to sits on a cam lobe at TDC and can suddenly shift as yours did. Put the cam locking plate back on and rotate it back into position. You had better be using the crankshaft locking pin and the camshaft holding tool or you are risking getting our of time and slop in the timing belt. Did you notice that the holes in the cam locking plate are different diameters? Marking the camshaft sprokets won't help as they spin on the cam shaft taper (no keys) until the bolts are torqued. Further, it is really difficult to get the belt back over the sprockets unless they are riding on the smaller section of the cam taper. It has been done without the proper tools, but again, it's risky.

Old 04-18-2012, 07:32 PM
1st Gear

Thanks for your quick response. I think that you would say that it rotated clockwise. I believe that it did but the suddenness of the sprocket giving way so surprised me that I am not sure. Based on the lobe analysis, what do you think? I tried counterclockwise and some resistance was felt.

Joe