Classic Audi A section to discuss the models that have made Audi famous of the years...

abs brakes making a sound

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2014, 10:35 AM
1st Gear
Default abs brakes making a sound

Recently I replaced both my front axles and the car is smooth as ice. But now my brakes make a funny sound. They brake fine, but if you are slowly coming to a stop, the brakes release for a few seconds, and you have to brake to hold it. I was told it was my ABS readjusting. Any help?

Old 02-19-2014, 11:54 AM
1st Gear

Does the brake pedal move or feel like it releases a bit when this happens? Does the brake MIL light illuminate? I ask because as you are slowing, the engine rpm is slowing to idle and the vacuum is starting to reduce. If you have a vacuum leak, you could be losing vacuum assist on the power brake booster and the system senses that you are releasing pressure on the brake pedal. Hence, the brakes release and you could be reverting to manual braking for the full stop. Check all the vacuum lines, particularly that monstrosity that is located along the drivers side valve cover. I have replaced numerous hoses and check valves in that thing. Twist it a bit and listen for vacuum leaks. As a side note, when you replaced the axels, one assumes that you bought the whole thing, with rebuilt inner and outer CV joints. Did you look to ensure that the outers had the ABS ring on it and did you properly reseat the ABS sensors on the hub when you reinstalled the CV joints and axels?