General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Car making a juddering sound when i brake.

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2005, 04:22 AM
Default Car making a juddering sound when i brake.

Recently my car has been making a juddering sound when i brake. This only seems to happen when i am going around 60Km/h or slower, then brake hard(noise starts around 25km/h and less until i stop).
I have asked some people about this and they think it's maybe a warped rotor. Any insight as to what this could be? All help is appreciated, thank you.

Old 04-03-2005, 01:24 PM
3rd Gear
Default RE: Car making a juddering sound when i brake.

Welcome to Audi Forums eclipse!

Since you're new... check out the START HERE! (click this link) link to get a rundown of the lingo/vocab here at audiforums.

Then be sure to search the archives when you have a question. Chances are the question has been asked before (probably several times) and the archives will have plenty of information to answer your question. If you still need answers, please feel free to ask questions.

Don't feel intimidated; we are all a bunch of pretty cool guys (and gals). Feel free to post advice, comments, ideas, suggestions, and even pics.
================================================== ==========================================
Well it definitely sounds like a pad rotor issue. If it's the rotor, usually you can feel the vibration as you brake.

Old 04-05-2005, 01:27 PM
Senior Administrator

Additionally, if you're sensitive enough to what your car is doing, applying teh brakes *lightly* will allow you to feel it *grab* intermittently. You'll need a straight, smooooothe road, a gentle foot on the brake pedal, and a speed of about 25-40km/h. Apply the brakes ONLY enough to where you think they're grabbin, but not really sure... If you have a warped rotor you'll feel a recurring *grab* as the wobbly part of teh rotor makes contact with the pad(s). Or, you could drive into your local brake shop repair chain and have them tell you that they're warped (which they most likely will, be thay warped, or not) and need replacing. I don't know what the laws concerning minimum rotor material are, in your area, but, you could always ask to have 'em *turned.* Cheaper than replacing them, but you'll have to do that eventually, anyway.

Other possible explainations include a wheel-weight that's gone missing, but that would usually give other indicators, as well, which you didn't express. Or, if you've smacked a curb or pothole REALLY HARD, or possible gone off into the mud recently. But, thos two would give symptoms similar to the wheel weight being gone. Both possible, but not probable.

One last thing, and this is very specific... If you've recently had brake work done, which you didn't indicate, a loose caliper (from not being re-tightened properly) will also exibit the symptoms you described.

Bottom line, take it to a brake shop with a respectable reputation, and have them check your rotors. Better to spend the $$ on the symptoms than on the results of failed equipment. Believe me, the second will be tens of times more expensive.

Old 04-05-2005, 02:33 PM

ImolaS4 i will read up on the link tomorrow when i get to work ( i got alot of free time there).

AWDaholic, thanks for all the information. I will try out your first suggestion today and then later, see if i can get my car looked. Thanks again.

Old 04-05-2005, 02:52 PM
Senior Administrator

NP Eclipse. BTW, where else do you post? I've seen teh name and link elsewhere, but can't for teh life of me remember where. Not a **** site, I hope... But, mebbee...