Classic Audi A section to discuss the models that have made Audi famous of the years...

HELP!!!! Looking for a new clutch!

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2008, 06:39 PM
1st Gear
Default HELP!!!! Looking for a new clutch!

So, unfortunately, the clutch in my 89 200QT is sticking, to the point that the car will not move at all, even if the rpm's are really high. I had to nearly redline the car just to get it across an intersection, at which point I pulled over due to the smoke coming from the hood. I know it's the clutch, because the car will run while "in gear", without me even touching the clutch pedal, and I can move the shift **** freely between gears without having to touch the clutch pedal. What I am wondering is, will clutches from other (more common) Audi models fit this car? Or, where can I find a clutch that will fit this car for cheap? I don't have the money to take the car to a shop and get the problem narrowed down completely, so I would prefer if I could find a complete clutch that I would just have to hook up or whatever you want to say. Please help!

Old 05-19-2008, 12:24 PM
3rd Gear
Default RE: HELP!!!! Looking for a new clutch!

If you smoked the clutch assembly like you said you most likely fried the flywheel and it is toast.
You say the clutch is sticking, but that dosen't make sense. Usually a clutch will slip when it get bad - not stick - and it has a lttle driving force. or it won't release.

Something else might be broken - but if it is the clutch - The 200QT takes a heavy duty clutch so a cheepy will either not work or work for only a short time. If your really into a money crunch you might get a used flywheel and clutch ( do the TO brearing also) from a junk yard but your asking for trouble. In any case you'll probably need a flywheel

Try Chris Semple at Force Five in Concord NH 603-223-6700 -