Classic Audi A section to discuss the models that have made Audi famous of the years...

Optical/Manual Fan Controller

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2010, 11:45 PM
1st Gear
Default Optical/Manual Fan Controller

That's right, folks. You see the temperature gauge rise, you reach down and turn them puppies on. Just remember to turn them off before you run down to the pond and do some skinny dipping with your girlfriend. Step sister or distant cousin, It don't matter. She just better be good lookin enough to flag down someone to give you a jump.
Speaking of jump...

My son has a '94 Audi 100 that he bought from some guy. Evidently, the car had some cooling problems, because both fans were wired to a switch that the driver controlled, turning them on when the engine temperature would rise, and turning them off when they smelled the insulation burning off the wire. They ran a wire from the terminal under the hood, to a switch inside the car, and out to the cooling fans. He came in from out of town the night before he and I were scheduled to take a trip up north. The switch was completely destroyed and the wires were totally effed. Knowing that he had to leave when he and I got back into town, I went ahead and did some of my own improvising that night.
With my personal ride being a 71 Mustang, I had no idea how the fans were supposed to be wired, nor did I have time to figure it out. I just had to make sure that the car would get him back home without setting itself on fire.
So, I ended up using the same principles, but running two dedicated fused circuits to split up the load.
Okay. That's where we are today. I picked up the car last week and drove it 200 miles with no problems. He'll be overseas for at least a year, so I'm taking this opportunity to maybe fix a few things.
Starting with the cooling fans.
Can any of you rocket scientists tell me how this is supposed to be done? I'm guessing that theres a control circuit or something that isn't bringing the fans on? Anyone have a wiring diagram? Or some helpful hints? Cold beer?

Thanks.

Old 12-03-2010, 05:13 PM
4th Gear

new spammer, same old shoes... why do I keep finding shoes...

10 more

Old 12-03-2010, 05:43 PM
Super Moderator
Old 12-03-2010, 06:05 PM
1st Gear

points!

Old 12-24-2010, 10:28 AM
Super Moderator

another where the spam was removed...

brad 10 star 9 kinky 8 -(unofficial)

Old 12-24-2010, 11:16 AM
1st Gear
Lightbulb Wow forget the points

Maybe you want your post answered right? Check the coolant radiator for a large round sensor with an electrical plug on the back of it. This is the fan switch and often times they will short out and cause the fans to stay on constantly...therefore the need to wire to an in-cab switch. Replace this and you should be right as rain. good luck