Computer & Fuel Systems Talk about the computer, fuel systems and delivery, customization and more.

allroad w/ 4.2 engine won't start

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2012, 02:16 PM
1st Gear
Default allroad w/ 4.2 engine won't start

I have an intermittent starting problem with my 04 allroad with the 4.2 engine.

The problem I am having, is that after sitting for a while, the car will not start right away. If I cycle the key repeatedly, it it will eventually start. Or, if I walk away and come back 10-15 minutes later, it will fire absolutely perfectly. This problem seems to be worse when it is cold. Once it has fired up, it starts absolutely perfectly from that moment on, until it sits for at least a few hours or more.

When I turn the key, the dash lights up, everything responds completely normally, but there is no click, no whine, no nothing when I turn the key to the start position. There is a very slight drop in the voltmeter when the key is in the start and it isn't responding.

It seems as though something is not working to allow power to the starter so there is no response from the starter. Is there a sensor that has to open the pathway for power to the starter that may not be working?

Last year, I was having starting problems. I replaced the ignition switch and problem solved. This year, when the problem started, I assumed the ig switch was just going to be a yearly replacement. Got it replaced at the same time I replaced the fuel pump. Did not solve the problem though. I do have an intermittent code with a slight leak in the egv system. Don't think this is contributing though.

I am faced with taking a guess and replacing the starter to the tune of a grand or so. I really don't want to do that if it truly isn't the starter obviously.

Recommendations, past experiences etc would be GREATLY APPRECIATED.

Thanks.