Computer & Fuel Systems Talk about the computer, fuel systems and delivery, customization and more.

Is APR the best out there?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 12:09 AM
1st Gear
Default Is APR the best out there?

Im considering buying the APR ecu upgrade, is there a noticeable difference in gains? IS this a waste of $600????

Old 08-14-2009, 01:24 AM

i wish someone could answer your question because im in the same boat. im considering going with nuespeed because its alittle bit cheaper at 400. Anyone out there have any info?

Old 08-14-2009, 05:48 PM
1st Gear

I hear the sound of crickets, oh and wait, there goes a tumbleweed.

Old 08-15-2009, 04:45 PM
1st Gear

That is more a relative question... is APR best for "you"? That all depends... what many can tell you is that APR has rock solid reliability, has stock-like driveability with a good increase and power, and APR has a proven name for VW/Audi tuning. Will it give you the absolute most power possible? No, but it also won't leave you stranded on a back country road because you used a second rate questionable tuner. I used GIAC once on my last Audi and got stranded on a mountain for 30mins, because it threw my perimeters off and sent me into limp mode. I used APR on my TT and never had a problem; I'm currently getting the stg 3 APR setup on it now; I wouldn't have dumped that kind of money on my car if I wasn't confident of their reliability. I'll sacrifice 5-15hp so that I'll never be stranded again for sure. Another question to ask yourself is what are you looking for and where is your nearest tuner? Although I had a bad experience with GIAC, that doesn't mean they are a bad company; they have tons of very satisfied customers that swear by them as well. If you have a reputable tuner nearby, ask if you can go for a test drive in one of their cars to see if you can "feel" the difference. Do your homework and know what you need and what you are getting. To me, $200 is well worth the additional piece of mind, but if it's not a daily driver for you, it may not matter. Just FYI Neuspeed traditionally has some of the lowest power increase numbers, when compared with GIAC, APR, MTM, and others as they do not push the envelope in an effort to ensure reliability. So in that case, what you pay is what you get (not that Neuspeed is bad in that respect). APR has done extensive research to get the most out of an ECU upgrade without sacrificing driveability or reliability. HTH's...

JB

Old 08-15-2009, 04:56 PM
Administrator

Chipping the car would gain you some noticeable horsepower.

Choosing a chip would really depend on which car/model you have.

APR is actually one of the leading companies when it comes to chip beside GIAC, Revo, MTM, and some other companies.

Old 08-15-2009, 11:08 PM
1st Gear

I went with APR and im please with the performance. Much more tourque in between 2-4 but it stops there. Does anyone know where i can find a manual on how to toggle between maps through the cruise? I cant believe for $600 i didn't get a manual.

Old 09-10-2009, 11:40 PM

I went off label and went w/Inmotion. I am happy w/the results and spent half as much. Search for it as I wrote a detailed review. APR does have the benefit the the stalk to change b/w programs. GIAC needs a hand unit. Not sure in Unitronics or Revo. You pay for what you get in R/D.

Old 09-27-2009, 09:22 PM

ocod2020, you said that you went with Inmotion, than you said you pay for what you get in R/D. What do you mean that you should have gone with APR or are you happy with Inmotion. I am in the same boat as must here, want more by not sure which way to go. There seems that alot do it but nobody talks about it.

Old 09-28-2009, 11:14 AM

Jay, def happy w/it. Did you read my post? APR is a good company that offers different programs that you control through the cruise control, Giac uses a handheld unit. not sure w/the other tuners. Thats what I ment w/R/D.
GL either way you'll be happy over stock.

edit: and as Krip says you have local dealers in your area very convenient. APR gives you a 4hr trial flash FREE. Call a dealer and go try it. Then let us know? VS Inmotion is in Ohio only. You either send over night ECU 3 day process. Or pay refundable deposit and get Flash Booster sent to you and you do it your self. Theres more to call and ask for James.

Last edited by ocod2020; 09-28-2009 at 09:21 PM.
Old 09-28-2009, 02:35 PM
Administrator

Main different of getting a chip from a well-known company is the support. They have many dealers across the US so in which something goes bad, you could always drive somewhere relatively close and get the problem fixed.

Also GIAC, APR, and many other companies usually offer discounts for refashing (incase you decide on going with different tune; bigger turbos) and they also offer free software updates.