Computer & Fuel Systems Talk about the computer, fuel systems and delivery, customization and more.

Is APR the best out there?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 09:22 AM
1st Gear
Default apr the best?

Originally Posted by johnebusch
That is more a relative question... is APR best for "you"? That all depends... what many can tell you is that APR has rock solid reliability, has stock-like driveability with a good increase and power, and APR has a proven name for VW/Audi tuning. Will it give you the absolute most power possible? No, but it also won't leave you stranded on a back country road because you used a second rate questionable tuner. I used GIAC once on my last Audi and got stranded on a mountain for 30mins, because it threw my perimeters off and sent me into limp mode. I used APR on my TT and never had a problem; I'm currently getting the stg 3 APR setup on it now; I wouldn't have dumped that kind of money on my car if I wasn't confident of their reliability. I'll sacrifice 5-15hp so that I'll never be stranded again for sure. Another question to ask yourself is what are you looking for and where is your nearest tuner? Although I had a bad experience with GIAC, that doesn't mean they are a bad company; they have tons of very satisfied customers that swear by them as well. If you have a reputable tuner nearby, ask if you can go for a test drive in one of their cars to see if you can "feel" the difference. Do your homework and know what you need and what you are getting. To me, $200 is well worth the additional piece of mind, but if it's not a daily driver for you, it may not matter. Just FYI Neuspeed traditionally has some of the lowest power increase numbers, when compared with GIAC, APR, MTM, and others as they do not push the envelope in an effort to ensure reliability. So in that case, what you pay is what you get (not that Neuspeed is bad in that respect). APR has done extensive research to get the most out of an ECU upgrade without sacrificing driveability or reliability. HTH's...

JB
Well said! Thoughtful and, IMHO, accurate.

Old 10-14-2009, 12:39 AM

Its a 8 hr free trial. $600 is alot but its worth it to have it chipped vs stock
http://www.goapr.com/products/ecu_upgrade_8ea418t.html

Inmotion has 100% money back if you you dont like it and its $250 but you need to send them your ECU or pay $2500 deposit for flash tool sent to you.
http://www.inmotionusa.com

Old 10-17-2009, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by speileo
I went with APR and im please with the performance. Much more tourque in between 2-4 but it stops there. Does anyone know where i can find a manual on how to toggle between maps through the cruise? I cant believe for $600 i didn't get a manual.
Press and hold the "set" button on your cruise control. After approximately five seconds, the "check engine" light on your dash will begin to blink once per second. This will tell you that you are activating program one. This blinking sequence will continue for approximately five seconds.

After this five second interval, the "check engine" light will begin blinking twice per second. This will indicate that you have activated the second program. This process is continued to access any remaining programs you may have purchased. (three blinks = program three, four blinks = program four).

Step 2
Once you have activated the desired program, simply release the "set" button. The "check engine" light will stop flashing. Turn the ignition key off for 10 seconds, turn the key back on, and you will be locked in that program until you change it again.

It's that simple.

Old 10-24-2009, 08:44 PM
1st Gear

Ok so here I am w/ a 2002 (b5) S4 upgraded Ko4s turbos looking to also chip my car MTM , VAST are the 2 i'm thinking about. what you guys think?

Old 10-30-2009, 03:00 AM

Hello people, im new to the forum, I bought my TT a month ago and im thrilled with it... my question is: dont you guys have speed cameras in your countries? I also thought to add some power but I think that I will get busted in a matter of days. even now it is difficult not to go over the limit all the time

Old 10-31-2009, 10:25 AM

I think that there are speed cameras in some areas but not so much in others. Where I live it's police in cars running radar if you speed. A good detector and paying attention help out greatly.

How is it speed cameras aren't "vandalized" when they are found? A little spray paint.... Just asking.

Old 12-11-2009, 04:33 AM
Default Apr, giac or custom tune

I had APR stage 1 and comparison between GIAC is that I noticed more with GIAC when other bolt ons were applied. also GIAC is a more aggressive chip! Custom tune is for Stage 3 and above advancing the timing for bigger turbos and more fuel is applied, hope this was helpful

Old 02-10-2010, 07:59 PM
Default help with the giac chip

Im new with audi. I just bought a 1.8t wagon for my wife as a new project. just wondering if theres anything else i should do when putting in the giac chip? will i have any problems usuing the stock ecu?

Old 03-01-2010, 09:14 AM
2nd Gear
Default Chip tunes: GIAC, APR, INMotion, etc.

Originally Posted by johnebusch
That is more a relative question... is APR best for "you"? That all depends... what many can tell you is that APR has rock solid reliability, has stock-like driveability with a good increase and power, and APR has a proven name for VW/Audi tuning. Will it give you the absolute most power possible? I'm currently getting the stg 3 APR setup on it now; Another question to ask yourself is what are you looking for and where is your nearest tuner? Just FYI Neuspeed traditionally has some of the lowest power increase numbers, when compared with GIAC, APR, MTM, and others as they do not push the envelope in an effort to ensure reliability. APR has done extensive research to get the most out of an ECU upgrade without sacrificing driveability or reliability.
I have the mods in place (FMIC, Upgraded Turbo, Test Pipe, clean exhaust, Intake, 30# injectors with 3bar pending), and are now deciding on the tune. What seems to be a good fit is GIAC PC16, and theoretically APR "STAGE III+", but on their website they don't offer the tune, and are not responding to my request. I have response from INMotion and GIAC, and contacted VAST, waiting for their offers.

Has anyone purchased and installed the APR Stage III+ TUNE (for K04)?

My impression of APR so far: they are too big to care (while the others are responsive, maybe because they are smaller?). Imagine how unresponsive they would be if YOU NEED THEM (vs. THEM INTERESTING IN SELLING TO YOU). I may give APR one more shot to response, but then they are OUT.

Old 03-01-2010, 06:32 PM
2nd Gear
Default APR official reply: we can't do K04 tune

I have the K04 installed on my A4 B5 and contacted APR for their suggested chip/tune (should be the "Stage III+).

They first did not reply. After a week, I sent my inquiry again.

Here is the official APR reply:

"Unfortunately we do not offer K04 software for this vehicle."

So from now on: be aware, and make sure to stay away from APR software if you plan to upgrade your K03 turbo (unless you fork over the gazillion dollars they charge for their kits). They admit that they can't do it.