Computer & Fuel Systems Talk about the computer, fuel systems and delivery, customization and more.

Audi Filter issue.

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2014, 12:08 PM
1st Gear
Default Audi Filter issue.

My Audi A3 57 plate has issues with power I have to push the accelerator more to get more power. I have been told it's filter issues on the dashboard the coils are lit up as is Audi particulate filter. I recently had to change the engine which set me back a lot of money. I don't want to spend too much more money as I can't afford it. I have changed the DPF pressure sensor as I was told it was a filter issue and it wasn't the glow plugs because new ones were put in when I changed the engine. Can anyone help?

Thank you in advance,

Jay

Old 12-31-2014, 07:11 PM
1st Gear

Being in the U.S., not really sure what you mean by "57 plate" but assume it's a newer one and a diesel. There is a chance the particulate filter is "full". They can only regenerate so many times and do have a life span. Generally diesels with filters (regardless of make, model, car, truck, etc) the DPF can't regenerate anymore usually in the 130,000-150,000 mile range. Of course it all depends on the quality of the fuel used (poor fuel quality will cause more particulate than good quality fuel) and how the vehicle is driven and to some extent, by the quality of the oil and frequency of changes. There's a reason Audi/VW require the relatively expensive 507 spec oil (very low ash). Using conventional oil will kill a DPF way before it's time.

Sometimes when there's more than one warning light, doesn't always mean multiple problems necessarily. Glow plug light COULD be caused by the DPF fault.

Best is to hook up a scanner and see what faults are stored before anyone starts throwing parts and money at it and then go from there.

Last edited by aspen79; 12-31-2014 at 07:13 PM.
Old 01-01-2015, 09:26 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by aspen79
Being in the U.S., not really sure what you mean by "57 plate" but assume it's a newer one and a diesel. There is a chance the particulate filter is "full". They can only regenerate so many times and do have a life span. Generally diesels with filters (regardless of make, model, car, truck, etc) the DPF can't regenerate anymore usually in the 130,000-150,000 mile range. Of course it all depends on the quality of the fuel used (poor fuel quality will cause more particulate than good quality fuel) and how the vehicle is driven and to some extent, by the quality of the oil and frequency of changes. There's a reason Audi/VW require the relatively expensive 507 spec oil (very low ash). Using conventional oil will kill a DPF way before it's time.

Sometimes when there's more than one warning light, doesn't always mean multiple problems necessarily. Glow plug light COULD be caused by the DPF fault.

Best is to hook up a scanner and see what faults are stored before anyone starts throwing parts and money at it and then go from there.
Thank you very much Aspen79 for your help I have sorted out the problem. It was a DPF fault which has now been sorted out so thank you for your help I will be using quality oils and fuels from now on so I don't experience it again.