Computer & Fuel Systems Talk about the computer, fuel systems and delivery, customization and more.

cranks but no start. HELP! 98 a4 quattro

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2012, 05:20 PM
1st Gear

Had the same problem with my 1999 a4 aftering getting spark plugs and wires changed car won't crank Im being told its the fuel pump but it was working jus fine before changing wires what should I do oh and wires where purchased at advance auto and all plugs appear to be firing

Old 03-13-2012, 04:31 PM
1st Gear

big news update. so the shop finally called me. they been workin on it for a week and said they narrowed the problem down to an engine speed sensor. they said the sensor is inexpensive but getting to it is the hard part.

they are goin to call me back befor they start the work but ill give u another update when i find more out.

also my pump wasnt getting power i was gettin some sort of false reading they said the relay wasnt working how it should but the relay is run off that sensor so we will see what happens

Old 03-13-2012, 07:35 PM
Tech Certified

Originally Posted by druss_67
big news update. so the shop finally called me. they been workin on it for a week and said they narrowed the problem down to an engine speed sensor. they said the sensor is inexpensive but getting to it is the hard part.

they are goin to call me back befor they start the work but ill give u another update when i find more out.

also my pump wasnt getting power i was gettin some sort of false reading they said the relay wasnt working how it should but the relay is run off that sensor so we will see what happens
That can happen. When some of these cars are started the ecm looks for a signal from the cranks sensor. If it missing it will not activate the fuel pump relay preventing it from pumping fuel in case of an accident where a fuel line gets ruptured.
Thanks for the update. Let us know what the outcome is.

Old 03-25-2012, 03:21 PM
1st Gear

well the dealer has the car... 100 bucks to verify what i told them..... however they say the engine speed sensor cannot be the problem. they said its either the ecm or a broken wire in the harness. soooooooo i told them to do what they think is the best thing next and they are doin a diagnostic on the entire wiring harness. it cost 250 but they said if there is a broken or shorted wire they will find it...... if the harness is fine, then ill have to replace the computer..... they better be right that that sensor cannot be a problem.