Computer & Fuel Systems Talk about the computer, fuel systems and delivery, customization and more.

Prospective Audi Buyer

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2005, 02:29 PM
1st Gear
Default Prospective Audi Buyer

Hey All - I'm a newbie here, but it seems to be a great site with great input! Hoping you can shed some light on some questions...

I'm considering purchasing a '03-04 A4 1.8T and have read a bunch of your posts regarding replacing the ECU with and APR chip. I've driven the stock 1.8T and, coming from a V6 in my current car, it seems somewhat unresponsive by comparision. So my questions are:
1) how much of a difference does the chip actually make? Does it feel like you're driving a hopped up 4 cylinder, or does it feel more like a 6 cylinder?

2) Does anyone know about how the chip affects the lifespan of the engine? Should I be concerned with shortened life due to a higher-performing chip?

3) I've read a little about APR's chip and its ability to allow me to toggle between chipped and non-chipped modes... but even if using this feature, how likely would it be for the dealer to be alerted to the mod? Don't want to void a warranty, if at all possible.

4) Last question - most of what I see on the posts is regarding 1.8Ts. What about the 3.0? I'm assuming that chips aren't an option for the 3.0? If one were to choose between a chipped 1.8T (APR stage one) and a 3.0, what would you guys choose and why?

Thanks for the info...and sorry if some of this stuff is pretty basic. Just wanted to get the facts before I decide to pull the trigger!

Old 11-01-2005, 08:43 PM
6th Gear
Default RE: Prospective Audi Buyer

I have APR's software so I'm able to comment. It is night and day really. After chipping the car really comes to life. It's much more responsive than before. Most people who chip aren't pushing the engine very often. Chips have been out for years and i've yet to hear any substantial proof they cause decreased engine life. If you have the ecu locked out the dealer most likely won't find it. They really would have no reason to go searching for it. I believe APR now lets you flash your ecu back to stock if you like for dealer visits. Chips on normally aspirated engines typically are not worth it. On a turbo you can just increase the boost very easily. On a NA engine you don't really have much to work with.