Computer & Fuel Systems Talk about the computer, fuel systems and delivery, customization and more.

Upgrade projects

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 09:39 AM
2nd Gear
Default Upgrade projects

Current setup:
1.8T AEB, FMIC (2.75x6x20), custom K04, TAP chip (18 psi at 4000 rpm), SB 3 clutch, Carbonio intake, Miltekt exhaust, test pipe, stock injectors, Podi Gauge. Rosstech license VAGcom.

Standing by: Walbro 255, AFPR 3-5 bar. trained stock ECU.

Currently: engine codes

Next steps a) or b) or c)

a) Get off the shelf tune to make better use of current setup. GIAC PC16 file. Assumed needs: install AFPR (to 3 bar) and 317cc injectors. Have someone install chip and load the tune to stock ECU. Cost: $160 injectors, $200 chip.

b) Custom tune based on VAGcom logs. Assumed need: Was told that I need logable boost gauge (have no MAP apparently), 317cc injectors. Cost: $? boost logging, $500 custom tune/retune, $160 injectors.

c) T3 turbo (goal: 300 whp). Custom built turbo to match my desires (mid power, drivable)
Assumed needs: turbo (available at no cost), injectors (is 440cc save for 300 whp?) $160, manifold $150, tune: off the shelf that fits? $$, custom $500 based on VAGcom logs (needs logable boost gauge $?). What else am I missing? What is needed to get T3 turbo to work, and required to tune?

Comment: with the end goal 300 whp and T3 turbo, am I better of considering piggy back control, boost, etc to be able to tune in increments (stupid chip)?

Old 08-31-2010, 08:24 PM
Tech Guru

ok, i don't exactly understand what you are asking

do you have a turbo?
if so is it a t3 that is made to fit our cars? if not you are going to be looking for a turbo?

your goals are 300whp, i understand that, but why would you buy stuff twice?

my opinion, if you want roughly 300whp and have nothing but a stock ecu, get an elim kit and be very close to it......

talk to mike hood about what you want/have and go from there

Old 09-05-2010, 01:35 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by turbo kraut
do you have a turbo?
if so is it a t3 that is made to fit our cars? if not you are going to be looking for a turbo?
Yes, any t3t4 turbo I want, including custom/modification/optimization.

your goals are 300whp, i understand that, but why would you buy stuff twice?
Not sure what I would be buying twice. If not going to the end goal right away, the challenge is to buy in earlier steps what I need for the end step (for example injectors), with the exception of tune/chip.

my opinion, if you want roughly 300whp and have nothing but a stock ecu, get an elim kit and be very close to it......
I have a bit more than stock ecu as mentioned in the beginning, including whats sitting on the shelf ('standing by').

Steps a) and b) are meant to get some improvement NOW without spending much money OR wasting money for equipment/work that becomes obsolete later.

Why buy an elim kit if I have access to any t3t4 type I want at very little cost?

If piggy back engine control is the best solution for the end goal, I might start there and get it working with the current setup. On the other hand, a complete switch to 300 whp would require the piggy back control (for example Haltech 500 Sprint; figure $600) turbo (figure: free), injectors (440cc too small, 630cc? figure $200), switch to MAP (mine is MAF and drive by cable), not sure, estimate $200??? for a total of $1,000.

Old 11-13-2010, 06:55 PM
1st Gear

Have you made any progress on your upgrade? I'm in the midst of upgrading my stock 2001 A4 1.8T AWM. So far a Garrett T3 .63ar mII turbo and ATP exhaust mani, 630cc injectors,Forge 007 DV valve, Godspeed FMIC, 3" MAF, 5 bolt weld on flange to adapt to my stock Cat. That's my current collection. I am also now wondering about exhaust upgrades, understand I should go to 3" pipe but what mufflers are going to maintain as quiet running car as possible. I don't need the attention of CHP and emmissions checks.
Then the big question of what tune so far the Unitronics BT software seems the best fit at ($900) or I'm also looking at piggyback systems. If you could pass on any knowledge you've picked up on your own project or if anyone else has already traveled this path and can offer anything I would be grateful to hear it.