Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. let's hear about it here.

2013 Q5 sound system

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2013, 12:52 PM
1st Gear
Default 2013 Q5 sound system

I just got a new 2013 Q5 with the "basic" sound system. I traded in my 2010 A4 which had the (I think) Bose sound system. Not sure what it was but I can say that it was immensely better than the system on the Q5. I don't usually knock Audis but the system in this Q5 is really sub-par to the quality I expect from any Audi, regardless of the trim package. I guess my mistake was thinking that it didn't matter what the sound system package was. There are 2 glaring problems that I would like help with:

1. The subwoofer. It's as though someone at the factory said "screw it they're getting the base sound system so don't bother tuning it for the interior." I literally cannot turn the sub past about 25% before having all the sound drowned out when at high volumes. The reason appears to be that the crossover, assuming there is one, is set at something like 400-500Hz. Which would be ridiculous in a vehicle that size because what seems to be happening is the low end is resonating in the interior, but at a very unpleasant frequency. Is there any way to change the crossover frequency on the sub amp so that I get *actual* bass from it?

2. #1 above might not be as much of an issue if I was actually able to *turn the volume up*! There appears to be some limiting/compression happening when I have the volume as loud as it will go, which, by the way, is only about 75% on the dial. Now I realize i'm getting into the territory of the "11 is 1 louder" fallacy, but those that have experienced this know what I mean. In my A4, "loud" was *actually* loud. I.e., when I cranked that system up, it actually could get painful (no my hearing isn't skewed from damage by the A4 system). When I turned the bass up it really "thumped". It was tuned perfectly for that car, and aside from a few tweaks with the "frequency" controls (3 ranges was hardly control, but I really miss the mid-range control now), I could crank the system as loud as I could stand it and it sounded perfect. In the Q5, I find I am constantly trying to turn the volume up and it's like the system says "screw you I'm not going any louder!" That is really frustrating. It's nowhere near as loud as I actually want it to go! What gives?? Is there anything in the back that I can change to defeat this limiting that is happening? Worse yet, when I do have it at it's limit, it seems to be "compressing", in that when a loud piece bangs in, the volume actually decreases momentarily, so I keep getting this "fading" up and down, and it ruins the whole experience.

I did find a box in the back that seems to be easy enough to remove, and it looks like it would be easy to open up, but I'm not sure what it is for. Is there anything I can do to tweak this system?? I've had better sound in beater cars spending a couple hundred bucks at a big box store than in this Q5!

Thanks.