Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. let's hear about it here.

How to use Valet Key

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 12:46 PM
1st Gear
Default How to use Valet Key

I searched the forums and wasn't able to find the answer, only a lot of disinformation and people asking similar questions.

I have a 2009 A4 Prestige, which has Advanced Keyless start/stop. My car came with 2 remote fobs (with metal keys), a blank plastic fob, and a plastic emergency key. If I put the emergency key in the blank fob, it will start the car if I put the fob in the ignition.

My question is, how am I supposed to use this combination of keys for valet? The valet button is in the glovebox which locks with the key, but in order for a valet to start the car I need to give them either one of the two remote fobs or the fob with the plastic key. Once they have those, they can unlock the glovebox and turn off valet mode, which makes the whole process null and void. I can't just give them the blank fob, because then they can't unlock the car door in order to get in. I can't give them the remote fob with metal key removed because I don't believe that will start the car by itself and because it doesn't have a ring on it, so how do they hang it from their little peg board?

In any event, I'm confused about how I'm supposed to properly leave my car at a nice establishment that has valet without having to take 5 minutes to explain to the valet how to handle my car.

Old 05-12-2010, 02:11 AM

Genuine A4 multi-ring valet key holder. Use it like a regular key chain. The valet key will only open the drivers door and start the vehicle for a short period of time, about 10-15 minutes. This allows the Valet to park the car but not open the glove comp or the trunk.

Old 05-14-2010, 10:09 AM
1st Gear

your thread is a bit confusing. Can you post a picture of all three keys?

Old 09-17-2012, 04:17 AM
1st Gear
Question

I'm a newbie and I'm confused by this. Seems to me I should pull the standard keyfob apart; give the electronic plastic fob component to the valet and keep the metal key form myself after pressing the valet button inside the glove box and locking the glove box. Problem is, there's no key ring for a valet to hang it on a panel with other keys, attach a tag with number on it, or anything that would allow handling of the fob like any ordinary car key a valet might get.

Am I missing something?

Thanks!

Old 10-22-2012, 07:32 PM
1st Gear

i know its in the owners manual. i was really bored one day read through the whole thing. basically it says to take the metal key out of your key fob. hit the valet button in the glove box and then use the metal key to lock the glove box, the back seats, etc. and then give the valet the key fob and keep the metal key on you.

check the manual otherwise.

hope this helped!
Matt