Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. let's hear about it here.

Please help: Back to stock concert radio b5

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 12:27 AM
1st Gear
Exclamation Please help: Back to stock concert radio b5

I bought the car with no radio. The guy before me had some alpine head unit in it. This is why I freakin hate after market radios. People do hacks jobs and don't put them in right. Anyway I played with the wiring for about an hour and finally got very very weak sound to the rear speakers. The front ones work, but seem be biased. I want to kick the PO in the head right now. Please help.Please help: Back to stock concert radio b5-user66252_pic66355_1204910990.jpg

Four of the wires on the harness were cut.( that were inside the red box) Sorry about the smaller circle inside, found the pic on google, might not even be for a b5 concert radio.

The four wires cut were 2 brown ones with a red stripe, blue with green stripe, an blue with red stripe. I tried just simply reconnecting these but the sound was very weak.

I'll take pictures of the harness tomorrow.

Old 02-02-2011, 11:50 PM
1st Gear

To give an idea of what exactly is going on in there.
Please help: Back to stock concert radio b5-img_0142.jpg

Please help: Back to stock concert radio b5-img_0143.jpg

Please help: Back to stock concert radio b5-img_0144.jpg

Old 02-15-2011, 11:57 AM
2nd Gear

Sorry to hear about that, what a pain!

Have you looked into purchasing a new wiring harness? Looks like it plugs in with the black connectors in your pic. Might be less of a hassle to buy that last bit of harness and "plug-n-play" rather than trying to repair the wiring.

Old 02-16-2011, 11:01 AM
1st Gear

It really was a pain. I ended up resoldering some of the wires back up. Though the radio sounds staticy and plays 95% on the front speakers and 5% on the back. I'm not site why. I was thinking out could be because the PO had installed some pretty hefty alpine speakers back there and the radio just cant drive them??? Or maybe the radio is bad? (used off eBay)

I just want to jam!

Old 02-17-2011, 09:13 AM
2nd Gear

Well, the Concert Bose stereo is unpowered, or underpowered for sure. The reason is that in the stock configuration, there is an amp that powers the rear speakers, and that amp actually sits beneath one of them in the way back area in the trunk.

If the previous owner took out the stock rear speakers, there's a good chance that he also took out the amp.

So now that you're back to the stock Concert stereo, my guess is that you no longer have enough amp power going to those rear speakers.

Old 02-18-2011, 10:22 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by jdahlen24
Well, the Concert Bose stereo is unpowered, or underpowered for sure. The reason is that in the stock configuration, there is an amp that powers the rear speakers, and that amp actually sits beneath one of them in the way back area in the trunk.

If the previous owner took out the stock rear speakers, there's a good chance that he also took out the amp.

So now that you're back to the stock Concert stereo, my guess is that you no longer have enough amp power going to those rear speakers.
This is helpful. I do have the stock concert stereo, but there's no bose emblems on my speaker covers, making me think I don't think I have bose?

On a side note, the rears speakers the PO put in are some alpines with some huge magents.

Old 03-23-2011, 12:02 AM
1st Gear

So I played with it a bit today, and hooked up some small wimpy speaker and it was weak too, so it's not the speakers being too strong for the radio. Does the stock amp normally sit underneath the cd changer?