Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. let's hear about it here.

Replacement Radio for 2004 Audi A6 (non-Bose system)

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2013, 08:52 PM
1st Gear
Default Replacement Radio for 2004 Audi A6 (non-Bose system)

I called Cruchfield's today to order a Kenwood replacement radio for my 2004 Audi A6. I was ASTOUNDED when they told me they wouldn't sell me the radio because I didn't have the Bose system in my car and they had not researched the car (they had only researched the 2004 Audi A6 WITH the Bose system), so they didn't know what trim pieces to give me, or have a wiring harness that would work, or even if the radio would fit in the non-Bose car.

From what I can tell the radio will fit, and the trim, mounting brackets are all the same (does anyone have any information to the contrary?).

What is really keeping me from calling them back and telling them that I have the Bose system is the wiring harness. I "think" the Bose system harness will work (with some minor tweeking perhaps), but I don't know for sure. Does anyone here know if the harness will work, or do I need a special harness, and if so does anyone know the model number and company? Going off the reservation is a little scary, but if I could get some corroborating evidence, it would be worth the shot to get the stereo with the mounting hardware, and Bose system wiring harness. Any help would be FANTASTIC and much appreciated.

Rich

Last edited by rshevalier; 03-16-2013 at 09:02 PM.
Old 03-19-2013, 11:33 PM
1st Gear

I'd like to help you with this problem.
The wiring harness for Bose or non-Bose are the same. The only different is you need an power cable(+12V) to power the BOSE system.

Old 03-20-2013, 08:21 AM
1st Gear

Ahh, that's great news. I assume that power wire is for the Bose amp that I don't have. Ok, so for me it should be a simple plug and play issue (well with connecting wires between the kenwood and Audi wiring harnesses. I did order the radio and it should be coming today, acutally. I think the big thing is that for the rear speakrs I need to go to the RCA pre-amp plugs on the back of the radio, and remember to connect the blue pre-amp power wire to the Kenwood, and I should be in business. I am hoping it's as easy as it seems like it will be... Thanks Allenwong for the reply. Anything else I need to know?

Old 03-20-2013, 11:35 PM
1st Gear

May be you do not need the RCA plugs.
If they stated the unit is plug and play. Then they should prepare all the cables before shipping.
As far as i know, if your vehicle does not have extra amplifier, then the car speakers will be driven by the radio built-in amp.
If your vehicle has extra amplifier(Such as Bose, Infinity and etc.), then the car speakers will be driven by the extra amplifier.
So you will just need to plug the new adapter to the old plug on your vehicle. DONE!

Old 03-21-2013, 02:24 PM
1st Gear
Thumbs up

The words "plug and play" were entirely my own (sorry for the misunderstanding). I got the box yesterday. They forgot to send me the head removal keys, so they are on the way. While I am waiting, I figured I would get the wiring squared away so I looked at the instructions on the Cruchfield harness, and it told me EXACTLY what wires to splice with which for 1) cars with a Bose system, 2) cars without a Bose system, and 3 cars with/or without a Bose system (all Audis). Not only that, the insulation on the wires on the Kenwood (radio side) harness, and the supplied harness for attaching to the Audi matched colors exactly. There were no wires on the supplied harness to attach the rear speaker wires from the Kenwood harness, so I have to go with the RCA jacks for the rear speakers (and the instructions told me too also). Not only that, information from another source told me that there are small amps on the rear speakers that need power, so that's why I need the RCA jacks for the rear speakers and to hook up the blue wire for power to the rear speakers. The wires are all spliced up and waiting to be tested (when I can get the old unit out), before I solder and insulate them. Again Thanks so much for your help