Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. let's hear about it here.

Wiring Bose speakers to Aftermarket HU

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2006, 12:08 AM
1st Gear
Default Wiring Bose speakers to Aftermarket HU

Ok, Ive got a kenwood excelon CD/MP3 HU, the VW/Audi Harness adapter from Crutchfield, and the trim ring for a single din unit.

This is going in a 2001 TT with the bose concert garbage tape deck. Now I pulled the stock unit and it has 3 connectors, what looks like a secondary ground strap, and the goofy Audi Antenna cable.

One of the 3 connectors plugs right into the harness adapter, and powers up my Kenwood. The other two connectors are too large, so I can use them with the adapter. So what I need is to figure out the speaker wire colors for the stock harness coming off the back of the HU. Its got the simple Diagram on top of the HU, and shows the RF LF RR LR speakers in the line out section of the connector, with a remote out, and com. lable.

Im just going to assume they all go to the amp and the HU doesnt output any true analog signals, as none of them have the negative leads.

So what do I do from here? Is it necessary to replace all the speakers to make this fly, or can I find the speaker leads somewhere else and jump them to the HU?

Where is the factory amp in the TT and does anyone know the wire colors for it?

If someone could point me in the direction of the true speaker wires, or how to pull one of the grills off the door without breaking something, I think I can handle it from there. Normally I would start cutting and testing wires, but not to eager to go that route in the Audi.

Old 06-15-2006, 08:46 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Wiring Bose speakers to Aftermarket HU

So uh, rewiring all the speakers it is?

Old 06-15-2006, 09:03 PM
1st Gear

every bose system ive ever added an aftermarket deck to required a rewire except for that of 1996-2000 Pathfinder

Old 06-15-2006, 10:58 PM
1st Gear

ok, well that solves that part.

Any advice on pulling Audi body panels without damage? Specifically the doors.

Old 06-15-2006, 11:52 PM
1st Gear

Ive never worked on a TT but i know the a4s and A6s door panels are on a pretty intersting mounting system. There is usually a few screws around the outside of the panel and once all the screws are off you lift the door panel upwards and it come off

Old 06-16-2006, 01:13 AM
1st Gear

I had read that about the A4's. Thanks mang. Just wanted to get a little info before I went tearing into it. Only had the car two weeks, still a little nervous with my new baby.

Havent convinced myself any Book on CD-ROM is worth $80. Whats that 1600% profit? Not out of my pocket.

Guess Its time to decide if I want to run the speakers off the HU or another small Aux amp then. hmmm...

nothing can just go smooth...

Old 06-16-2006, 01:49 AM
2nd Gear

Well just getting the colors for the speakers may not solve your problem.... cause if its factory amplified they most likley wont work.... but if you want to try and save the hassle just get a 9 volt battery and make a speaker tester....

2 wires and 9volt battery.... positive negative. they start grounding and chekcing all the wires and listen to the speaker that crackleswhen you touch that wire then label it with some masking tape.... Idk try that first or contact Metra and see if that have the Amp intergration harness for your car. then you will have the plugs that will fit.

Old 06-16-2006, 08:23 AM
1st Gear

I found this tonight.
http://www.audiworld.com/tech/elec128.shtml

I think im going to try it in the morning as a temporary soultion (until I commit to tearing apart the interior).

Theres also a harness diagram (missing colors for bose connector) that matches the diagram on top of the headunit here :http://www.installer.com/cars/audi.html

Thought I'd throw these in here in case anyone else is wondering what Bose was thinking when they made everything stupid complex.

I still plan to re-wire the speakers without the bose amp as soon as I learn more about how to take the car apart right. Dont really want to guess before I even make the first payment

My DV and boost gauge should be here tommorrow hopefully that improves my mood.

Old 06-16-2006, 12:36 PM
2nd Gear

Yea good call. just do it right the first time so you never have to do it again.

Old 06-16-2006, 01:01 PM
1st Gear

That little wiring trick didnt work, i didnt think the chances were good, but it was worth a shot. I tried a few combinations and couldnt get any sound.

So Booo

I also found out I had an OEM CD Changer...lol. Thats the only reason I jumped on getting my HU in so fast, I couldnt listen to CD's. Do'h. Oh well, it was gonna have to happen eventually. Might as well get it all done. Got some pics of what I'm workin on...

Gotta figure out how to make the kenwood run the OEM changer...can't let it go to waste if I dont have to. I also started poking around the door panels and there doesnt seem to be a fastner in sight. This is going to be a fun project...

BTW, the hinged enclosure is built to house a 10lb Nitrous bottle...think Im going to do an Intake Manifold/Intercooler sprayer...Still thinking on that one. Its a wet kit so I could have some fun....but Spraying it outside the motor is less risky. I've got the purge valve so I can make it into whatever I want with some fittings and Tubing.

A little off topic...lol. I love a new project.