Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. let's hear about it here.

XM Tuner Install

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2005, 12:01 AM
1st Gear
Default XM Tuner Install

Just wanted to share an XM Tuner install with everyone.

I bought an OEM Audi XM Tuner for my 2005 A4 1.8T. This is the perfect solution for those that have a satellite ready radio but didn't get the tuner when you bought the car. I got mine off of ebay. Link

It's a small device that gets installed in a compartment on the left side of the trunk. On the left, there is a little door that pops open which contains another little compartment that has a plastic cover. You need to pop off the cover with a flat head screw driver or kitchen knife.

After I took the cover off I was expecting to see the factory wires for the tuner. I was able to see some cables but they went to the brake lights, etc. I fished around but didn't want to yank on anything. So, I took a drive over to the dealer and talked to one of the Techs. He proceeded to tell me that I needed to remove the left side trim and also remove the plastic stuff by the trunk latch. I would then be able to see the wires I needed. I asked how much they would charge to do the install. 2 hours @ $95.00 an hour. I said screw that and went home.

I took another look in the trunk and noticed some side vents that I could maybe pop off that might let me some the wires on the other side of the trim. I removed the vent and boom; there were the wires I needed. They were tacked to the side all nice and neat with some grey foam around them. I fished them through to the compartment and they plugged right into the tuner.

The tech I spoke with indicated there was a mounting bracket on the other side of the compartment. I opted to use heavy Velcro and just stick it right there in the compartment. This will make it easy if I ever want to take it out. (Pics to come.)

The next thing you need to do is reposition a connector which is located behind the front passenger side kick panel. You need to move the connector one spot over to the left. This enables the system to talk to the XM tuner. Why they don't do this at the factory, I don't know. (Pics to come.)

Move the car out side and hit the Sat button on your radio. If everything works, you will be able to tune to the preview channel on station 1.

Old 05-07-2005, 02:05 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: XM Tuner Install

Pretty sweet. Let us know how it works out for you. Pics would be great too. Congrats!

Old 09-23-2005, 02:19 PM
1st Gear

I am also looking to install the SAT receiver in my '05 S4. I'm hoping the panels are the same, although I have the Avant, so I'm not sure if they will be. The dealer pricing is out of hand expensive... and I'm not looking to replace the factory head unit. The first step will be to find a SAT receiver that will work. Does anyone know if anything besides the highly over priced Audi unit will work? I'll take Sirius or XM, whatever I can get my hands on cheaply. I'm not afraid to do some custom wiring if anyone knows how the receiver unit should be connected to the factory wiring. Any info on this would be helpful.

Thanks!

Old 10-12-2005, 01:31 PM
1st Gear

Yup, the install is pretty simple if you have the prewiring for it. The tuners can be swapped out between Sirius and XM very easily. I think the tuner costs about $350 from the dealer. Keep in mind, there are a few different part#'s depending on whether you have the RNS-E or Symphony II head unit. see www.navplus.us for more details.

You can also search audiworld.com (audio forum) for lots of posts/pix on this install. Good luck!

Old 06-01-2008, 03:53 PM
1st Gear

I wanted to say thank you for posting info on the installation of the Sirius Satellite Radio Module. I have recently installed the unit on my car. Just wanted to confirm that in the 2004 A4 Cabriolet, to install the unit, you DO have to remove the left side weatherstripping and plastic trim plate on that edge of the trunk to sucessfully remove the panel on the left. Once you have it pulled away... you can actually, without removing the panel... reach up behind and on top of the cd changer/navigation installation bracket and feel the grey foam coveraroundthe satellite wires (preinstalled). If you pull gently... the mounting bracket for the Sirius radio also releases with the cables and wires... pull it out to the front and plug in and voila. You do also have to remove the front passenger kick plate on the right side to move the connector to help the radio unit find the receiver... get the number off the unit when you push the SAT button on the stereo... go online or call sirius and boom... your in business.

I did chose to leave it installed behind the inside trunk panel as it will fit securely in the preinstalled bracket and remain out of site and protected from being damaged from things in the trunk, however does anyone know if this unit becomes hot during use?

This will save you several hundred dollars to complete this yourself BTW. I purchased a used, but good unit off of eBay for $200... so all in all I saved about $350 installing the unit myself. I just thought I would share this info and pay it forward. Thank you to all of you who posted info! You really helped save me a lot of money and grief. If you have any questions, please post!

Happy Driving!

Old 03-12-2009, 10:09 AM

I have a 2008 a4 Cab and I wonder wondering what part would work for mine?

Thanks

Old 03-07-2012, 02:59 PM
1st Gear

Does anyone have pictures for this install? Also, are there any special tools that I will need for this installation. I plan to do it myself also to save money.

Old 03-07-2012, 03:22 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Lamonte
Does anyone have pictures for this install? Also, are there any special tools that I will need for this installation. I plan to do it myself also to save money.
Check out this link for A4 B7