General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

**PLEASE HELP** radio problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 08:44 AM
1st Gear
Default **PLEASE HELP** radio problem

Hi,
New to the forum so hopefully someone can help me, I've an audi a4 s line 2005 model. love the car and never change for anything. anyway cutting a long story short my audi concert cd radio was draining my battery. when i turned off car and locked it there was a faint buzzing coming from my speakers. i went to an electrics guy and he told me the problem was with the radio or the steering wheel controls. anyway i sorted the draining problem by disconnecting the connecter D( reading "tel mute, tel+, -nf, nav +, -nf, and nav. con etc) from back of stereo. this stopped the battery drain but now ive no telephone or sat nav. it's still reading the phone through bluetooth but i can't talk through my speakers, the nav is also working but the same thing, it won't talk through the speakers. the electrics guy told me to get a new radio and i would if i knew for definitly it would sort the problem. just wondering can anyone help me on this problem as i'm lost without my phone
Thanks,
upset Philip

Old 02-07-2011, 12:47 PM
Senior Administrator

That buzzing noise is almost certainly a grounding-problem. Something, within that circuit you managed to disable, is grounding out; either against the radio chassis (i.e. internal to the radio), or to the car's chassis (unlikely, because you'd prolly STILL be hearing the chassis.

If you crack open the radio, to solve the problem yourself, you've voided any remaining warranty (if any) left on the device. the audio guy doesn't wanna do it, himself, because it's a PITA to chase down a loose ground in modern electronics due to almost everything being an integrated circuit made on ever smaller circuit boards and, worse yet, micro-ships. Which is why he said, just buy a new radio. In the long run, buying a new radio is prolly a cheaper colution because labor on chasing down a random loose ground is going to end up costing you however much he needs it to cost you x his hourly rate. I'd bet you the cost of a radio it ends up being juuuuuuuuuuust slightly less, or about the same, as a new radio...