General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

01 A6 Avant Rear Window Problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2007, 03:06 PM
3rd Gear
Default 01 A6 Avant Rear Window Problem

I have a weird issue for everyone. I searched on the forum, but couldn't find anything specific. Anyways, here is the issue.

As I was driving on the freeway this morning in the rain, i noticed that the rear passenger side window started to lower on its own. WTF? I pulled the master switch up, and it went up for a second and then it dropped again. I tried it again and it dropped again. So once I pulled over, I decided to pull the rear window switch. Nothing... and then the master switch would not even pull up the window anymore. After playing around for a bit, I turned on the rear safety lock from the master switch, and now I can open and close the window from the master switch only. If I turn off the safety switch, then the window will automatically drop and the rear switch does not control the window.

So what do you think? Is it my rear window switch? Any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks.

Old 12-19-2007, 03:27 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: 01 A6 Avant Rear Window Problem

Not sure if it's the rear window switch or the master switch, but the lock feature on the master switch is notorious for going bad.

When the window was lowering by itself, was it just slowly sliding down or was it moving at full speed like someone was holding the button?

If it was moving full speed, it sounds like an electrical problem and I'd say it's probably the master switch. If it was just sliding down slowly (like from gravity) then you may have a mechanical problem, too.

Old 12-19-2007, 03:30 PM
3rd Gear

It moves down fast as if someone is pushing the switch down. Question that I have is that I can open and close the windows fine with the masterswitch when the rear safety lock is on. So do you still think that it is my master switch? or just the rear switch?

Old 12-19-2007, 03:41 PM
1st Gear

Yes, I still think it's the master switch. I had a hard time believing it with my car, but it was true.The switches in the back doors wouldn't work at all when the master lock was in either position. But the master window switch would operate them perfectly. I swapped out the master switch (it's a complete unit with the lock and the four window switches) and it worked fine.

The test for me was that if I pushed down the master lock button and held it down all the way, the switches in back would start to work.

The part wasn't cheap, but the replacement was easy.

Old 12-19-2007, 05:48 PM
1st Gear

disconnect the rear switch and turn off the rear lockout and see if it still happens...

Old 12-19-2007, 07:33 PM
3rd Gear

I was just going to try that. I will let everyone know tonight.

Old 12-20-2007, 07:15 PM
3rd Gear

So here is what happened.

I pop open the window switch, and what do you know, i find he entire switch soaked with water. Where did the water come from? I have no idea. So I disconnect the wiring and dry the switch overnight on top of my heater vent. Also I made sure to dry the connector itself as well. Now the switch works fine.

Thanks for all of you inputs.