General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

1999 A3 1.8T - Need Help With Minor Issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2012, 04:29 PM
1st Gear
Default 1999 A3 1.8T - Need Help With Minor Issues

Hi guys,

Last Monday I purchased a reasonably clean 1999 1.8T A3 with 52,000 miles on the **** and full Audi service history up until the last service which looks like the seller wrote himself. Because of this I decided to have it serviced by an independent garage I know well. They found nothing wrong with it other than some of the items below. I am very pleased with the car in general but have a few little problems that I would like to get sorted. Hopefully some of the more experienced people on her can help.

1. I am intermittently getting fault code F118 on the climate display which indicates a fault with the high pressure AC sensor. I removed the high pressure sensor, checked the connections and refitted it but still have the problem. When the fault is present the cooling fan on the radiator cuts in and out every couple of seconds when the temp display reaches 90 deg C until it cools down again. I have had the AC gas level topped up by a friend who works in the AC industry so I am pretty sure the high pressure sensor will need replacing but wanted some opinions first.

2. There is grease starting to leak from the O/S/F inner drive shaft CV boot at the thinner end that does not have a clip fitted. Not a massive amount of grease but will need sorting. My mechanic told me this is a common issue and not to worry about it. I am thinking it would be a good idea to put a cable tie or small hose clip around the un-clipped end of the boot. Any reasons not to do this?

4. I have a fault code 50.3 logged on the climate system. I cannot find any info on this. Anyone have any ideas?

5. The screen demister vent is rattling a fair bit so I want to pack it out with some ant rattle tape. Does anyone know how to remove the vent without damaging it?

6. Roof weather strip perforation / corrosion. Research tells me this is a really common problem with the A3 and it would appear some have had the bodywork repair to rectify this carried out under warranty. I have been told that Audi offer a 12 year corrosion warranty on all vehicles. I would feel pretty stupid going to the dealer with a warranty claim on a car I have just purchased that is just under 12 years old! Is this worth going to a main dealer with or would I be wasting my time?

Thanks in advance.

David

Last edited by dark stranger; 02-22-2012 at 05:37 PM.