General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2007 A4 "PRNDS" lit up on dash

Old 02-13-2014, 07:42 PM
1st Gear
Question 2007 A4 "PRNDS" lit up on dash

2007 A4 S line. 75,000 miles

Just bought this car from my dealer for a pretty good price. Know nothing about Audi at all, so I am hoping you guys can give me a little advice on this situation.

Wife was driving car to work and the shift position indicator lit up all the positions. Car started shifting as if it was in Sport mode. Wife pulled over and restarted car, still acted up. Got to work, restarted car again and it seemed to clear and only displayed the "D" light when she drove away.
I'm hoping its not an internal trans issue, maybe a software update or an external solenoid starting to fail?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated

Old 02-16-2014, 08:44 PM
1st Gear

When the gear indicator illuminates red, it is an indication the gearbox has gone into backup mode (emergency running). The multitronic (cvt) gearbox has a common problem with sensors on the gearbox ecu. This is an expensive job, as the ecu is about £600 And is inside the gearbox. The rear casing of the gearbox needs to be removed and the oil drained out to replace the ecu. I would go back to the dealer .

Old 02-27-2014, 05:50 AM
RMD
1st Gear

When the Gerabox ECU fails the PRNDS either All light up and stay lit and there is no indication when you change gears or it flashes. In my case the car would not start and it locked in park. Audi will replace the ECU at huge cost or you can have it repaired by an outside agent at half or in my case just over 10% of the cost. Yes you should replace the gearbox oil at this point and it requires a Titan oil which is also not cheap.

Using the correct oil is critical. Also Audi do not recomend frequent oil changes but if you want the box to last I strongly suggest it is changed at very least every 60000KM

Dont listne to them about needing specail equipment to change the oil its not true. You need a special plug which can be found for a few bucks if you search. and the oil can be pumped in using a simple Boat fuel primer bulb at the cost of a few cents. The filler has an internal tube which ensures you dont overfill.