General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

99 a4 1.8t having problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 03:37 PM
1st Gear
Default 99 a4 1.8t having problems

i just bought my audi about a month ago and it was working fine, due to mis-information i was putting 87 octane instead of 91 and drove about 1000 miles using that, 500 being on a roadtrip. i dont know if thats what caused this problem but anyways, it has a "hiccup" sounds like a little drop in idol [you can hear it in vid] my friend thought it could be vacuum leak because one of the vacuum lines had to be jimmy rigged [can also see that in vid] had to do that because there was this plastic peace connecting two parts of the vacuum hose we think it could be a little tiny valve of some sort but it was all exploded and broken so we took that off and connected the two lines. heres a vid of what it sounds like and what the vacuum lines look like.. only 18 so farely new to this.

if anyone can help me out THANKSS

Old 06-08-2011, 03:38 PM
1st Gear
Old 06-08-2011, 03:42 PM
1st Gear

oh and it was doing this for a whole id say almost 2 weeks now, and just today check engine light came on =[

Old 06-08-2011, 06:36 PM
1st Gear

There is so much misinformation regarding octane levels. Here is the bottom line. The octane rating that a vehicle requires is relative to the ignition timing that it was set at. For vehicles with a higher compression, a stronger octane is needed to prevent pre-detonation. For only 1000 miles, which is what, 3.5 tanks of gas, your engine should not be affected by the octane rating. The performance will be affected because of the ignition timing but no major damage had been made for such a brief period of time. Generally issues reach the surface after prolonged disregard.

It does sound like some sort of a vacuum leak. I did notice that it is the 1.8 so check the connections and hoses that go to your turbo as well. If your turbo inlet pipe is not properly secured or there is a crack/leak in that tubing, your idle will fluctuate. Vacuum lines are no big deal to fix. Just use another piece of tubing, put some sealant on the existing tubes, place the new tube over the existing ones to mate them together and use hose clamps to secure the connection. I do not think it is a vacuum line valve issue. Just a leak.

Old 06-08-2011, 09:39 PM
1st Gear

thanks for the reply man me and my friend are gonna try and fix it today ill reply back on this post to let you know how it went i hope thats just what it is, this is going to be my everyday driver/project, getting k04 turbo and GIAC performance chip, intercooler exhaust etc etc over the next few months ill be posting alot of it as i go

Old 06-08-2011, 11:19 PM
Administrator

Just as a side note, don't get a k04 unless your stock turbo is blown and you find one at a great price. It's a very slight upgrade from stock. Definitely not worth seeking out and spending real money for.

Old 06-09-2011, 06:07 PM
1st Gear

hmm thanks, im fully stock right now, what kinda upgrades should i go for first? dont know too much besides what ive looked into online

Old 06-09-2011, 07:20 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by shaneb5a4
thanks for the reply man me and my friend are gonna try and fix it today ill reply back on this post to let you know how it went i hope thats just what it is, this is going to be my everyday driver/project, getting k04 turbo and GIAC performance chip, intercooler exhaust etc etc over the next few months ill be posting alot of it as i go
K04 is better built than the K03 simply because it was designed to handle more boost but be careful. So many individuals crank their boost without the proper tuning or without changing internals as well. Keep in mind, your car was only really designed to handle what it has right now. If you're looking to really build this car, take the proper precautions to avoid major issues in the future.

It is a lot of money for the K04...I was looking to upgrade my 2.7 and I am not about to spend $5,000 for both turbos, upgraded piping, new sending lines, etc. Just chip it or have it tuned, add a less restrictive exhaust with a high flow cat, short ram intake, and call it a day. For a daily driver, the less things you do performance wise, the less unnecessary wear and tear on your internals. Just some advice...

Old 06-10-2011, 06:14 PM
1st Gear

i wanted to be able to have a sick blow off valve but can i do that stock?
and what brand exhaust would you recommend?

Old 06-10-2011, 07:41 PM
Administrator

For the love of God no. Sticky post titled FAQ up top in the B5 section - check it out ASAFP.

Last edited by ImTheDevil; 06-10-2011 at 09:38 PM.