General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

A4 Intermittent Starting

Old 01-12-2008, 08:20 AM
Default A4 Intermittent Starting

Hi Guys as you can probably tell I am new to this and very computer illiterate so be gentle with me plus I'm a Brit so says it all EH?!
I have a 2001 A4 2ltr Auto which is causing me a head ache with intermittent non starting and I wondered if any one out there has come across this problem?The car will be fine for days and just when it's lulled you into a false sense of security it bites you in the Butt by not starting.The symptoms are full dash lighting apart from the Ensure foot brake is applied warning.No dimming of dash lights when turning key to crank just agreat big nothing.I have noticed that the gear selector position display on the dash does not change colour on Park and Neutral when these gears are selected where as the others do but if the car is running they do change colour when selected.Is this linked?If after a non start I lock the car and walk away to take my Valium and let off steam and buy the kids yet another "Non Start Bribe" ,which obviousely they love ,and come back in an hour chances are it will start!My local Audi garage tell me, surprise surprise,it is not a common fault and they would need to have the car and bolt on as many expensive electrical components as they possibly can to ensure that they Bankrupt me and then tell me they cannot find the problem which seems to be an everyday occurance for them!A local garage has scanned for codes and there are none so any ideas PLEASE!
All help and suggestions will be gratefully received!
Thanks for your time and effort.
Regards
Ebolab the Brit

Old 01-12-2008, 08:27 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: A4 Intermittent Starting

so dash is ok part from foot brake.

do u get power drain when you crank?

i woudnt rule startermotor out, but could be wrong

Old 01-12-2008, 08:36 AM

Hi Moosey no power drain at all and starter is fine its definately a sensor or an electrical problem of some kind.
Thanks for your input though its much appreciated.

Old 01-13-2008, 12:10 PM
3rd Gear

Your probably not getting a signal to the starter to get the starter motor going. Most likly causes are the electrical portion of the ignition switch or the park neutral switch on the trans.