General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

A4 problem list...

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2008, 09:48 AM
Angry A4 problem list...

so im a lil new to this site, not sure where to post so if you have suggestions send me the link please, but anyways here i go.
i have a 1996 a4, 2.8 fwd auto, 150k. no cel, air bag light is on however. i bought it sep. 10th this year. since i bought it the center a/c vents blow cold and the outer vents dont blow nearly as cold, now the a/c compressor keeps kicking on and off. when the compressor kicks off the recirculate a/c kicks on and the air blows hard, then when the compressor kicks back on the flap opens back up and the fresh air comes and the a/c doesnt blow nearly as hard. i unplugged the a/c compressor wire so it doesnt kick on at all, and i can watch the flap under the cabin filter open and close when i hear the relay kicking. if i have the compressor unplugged so shouldnt it stop sensing it and stop kicking the relay?.
under the cabin filter there are 2 flaps, the bottom one does the recirculate, the top one doesnt move no matter where i turn the controls. oh also if i turn the recirculate on, it doesnt do anything. the light turns on and thats it. if i turn the temp up then the flap will flip closed, cutting off the fresh air. Also lately when i turn on the a/c, it only blows air out of the defroster, but if i push the button to move the air to the floor that works. but i cant get it to come out the face vents. then sometimes i'll just get in the car and it works fine(doesnt blow out defrost, all the other problems are there.)
the car is a '96 and in great shape. the body is real nice and sois the interior. runs great. vaccuum lines under the hood seem intact. im thinking of replacing them anyways, just one at a time so i dont get mixed up, i know. do you think i should just pull the entire dash off and see if that flap is just sticking?, is there a easier way to get in there? would the a/c temp sensor be bad and thats why it keeps telling the compressor to kick on and off? also mines a, i think january 1996 so i dont have a low side port. can i replace the line or something with a 1997 so i can charge it myself? the a/c never kicked on and off before, i dont know if its low on freon or if i have electric nightmare. or could the a/c control just be shot? since i bought the car, at night i can see that it flickers a lil bit. is that normal? the lights will just glitch for a split second. sorry about the long post but its just starting to really irritate me. im about to sell it and buy a chevy... im new to audi, i love them but if they all have these problems... then anyone want to trade for a nice 4x4 tahoe?? lol any help would be greatly appreciated!!