General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

AC Compressor Swap???

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 02:49 PM
Default AC Compressor Swap???

I have recently encountered some AC problems on my 97 Audi a4 2.8 quattro. The clutch on my AC feel off. I purchased another compressor setup off a salvaged car. The compressor appears to be i good condition and it came from a newer 02 audi. I found this guide for rebuilding the compressor, http://www.mercedesshop.com/shopforu....php?p=1880466. Would that be overkill for me to do. Also I am having difficulty finding any other sort of DIY for this task. I need to know if there are any other components i should change out, a friend of mine said i should do the Drier also. As far as compressor oil does anyone know the capacity for an AUDI compressor and is there anything else i should read, tools i should rent, flush the system. I am really clueless with this AC work but i should be able to get it. Works been slow, summers been too too hot so DIY is going to be my only option. Thanks.

Old 06-27-2008, 01:15 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: AC Compressor Swap???

you should always replace reciver-dryer/ or accumulator which ever it has when you do a compressor. the reason behind this is the dryer keeps moisture out of the refigerent because water is bad. it does this using the same stuff that keeps you beef jerky dry and you new tennies dry too. well the point is it can only hold so much moisture then its no good. so defenatlly replace that. also your metering device. you need to flush the system too. and it is really hard to find parts for a compressor rebuilt ones cost about 300 bucks. other than that if the system is not contaminated with metal shavings from the blown compressor then you should only need to replace the things ive said. dont forget to put oil in your compressor befor install or youll fry it. specs for it i dont know. autozone should have a aftermarket manual that might be in there. there is also an online program called alldata that will have it but a subscription is required or just call an audi delership the parts guy wont get too mad but hell give you the info you need