General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Alarm and battery issues

Old 03-06-2019, 12:14 PM
1st Gear
Default Alarm and battery issues

I have a number of symptoms on my US 2007 A4 quattro 2.0L cabriolet. The first indication of a problem was my alarm going off repeatedly one night while it was snowing heavily.

Since that time I have experienced various symptoms:

1. My alarm has triggered at random intervals. It might trigger several times in a 24 hour period, and then stay off for two or three days.

2. Twice the car has had a flat battery in the morning (presumably because the alarm went off during the night and drained the battery).

3. While driving I frequently see the the visual warning display show an image of my car, highlighting both the hood and the trunk (sometimes just one or the other, but frequently both) in red indicating that they are not properly closed, although they are properly closed. After driving around for a period of time, these indication usually go away although it might take an hour or so of driving for that to happen.

I tried turning off the motion sensor, but that did not prevent the alarm triggering.

So it seems to me that there are three possibilities.

(a) I have a failing battery which is causing all the other symptoms. Is it possible for a failing battery to cause the alarm system to trigger, and/or to cause the latch sensors in the hood and trunk to trigger also (which might in turn trigger the alarm)?

(b) I have a problem with the latch sensors in both the hood and the trunk which is periodically setting off the alarm and draining the battery. It seems unlikely to me that both the hood and trunk sensors would fail at the same time though - so I'm inclined to reject this as the primary cause.

(c) I have some other issue causing all these problems.

Anybody got any thoughts? Thanks in advance.